r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battery Charging

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Charging
    Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 11:50am
Hi all,

We just paid for the Rpod 176 from Couch's and we're days away from getting it delivered. We're so excited; however, we have a couplle of questions regarding the battery charging. We have a 4 pin connector and will go to Uhaul on Monday to get a break controller installed and switch out the 4-pin to a 7-pin. The Uhaul lady mentioned about a separate wire to connect to the 7-pin that gives it constant power. Is this necessary? Would this be the only way to charge the battery while driving? Can the battery be charged at all while we're driving?

Thanks,

Kenn

Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 2:24pm
Yes, the charge line is necessary.  It will allow your vehicle's alternator to charge your battery and run your fridge on 12v.  This method isn't the be-all-end-all of charging tho: it will add some charge, but don't expect it to fully recharge your battery.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'is this the only way to charge the battery by driving?'  Did you have something specific in mind?  Solar?  Or are you asking if driving is the only way to charge the battery?  In that case, no: the typical method of charging the battery is to plug your r-pod into a 120v outlet, at which point the converter (which is included with your r-pod) will automatically top-up the battery.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 2:53pm

I see. All I wanted to make sure is that the battery doesn't run out of juice and stop the fridge from working. I know that propane will work, but I'd rather reserve that "power source" for cooking and/or heat. Also, with a "live wire" to the 7-pin, would that put more load on the car bettery? Or would the load only utilize the car bettery if the car is not runnig?

Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Kenn Kenn wrote:

I know that propane will work, but I'd rather reserve that "power source" for cooking and/or heat. Also, with a "live wire" to the 7-pin, would that put more load on the car bettery? Or would the load only utilize the car bettery if the car is not runnig?

The amount of propane used by the fridge is minimal.  You'll get 20-25 days continuous usage from a 20 lb propane tank.  The stove also won't consume much - about 1 lb per hour, so unless Gordon Ramsay is preparing Christmas Dinner in your r-pod, it shouldn't have much impact on your propane tank.  The hot water heater consumes a bit more propane - about 15 days out of a 20 lb tank.  The furnace is the biggest consumer of propane - about 1 lb per hour (depending on how cold it is outside, of course).  But propane is inexpensive, easy to refill and easy to monitor the remaining amount, so don't fret too much about it.

As far as your battery, there's nothing magical.  Yes, when plugged into your vehicle, the r-pod will draw power from your alternator (if the vehicle is running) or your vehicle's battery (if its not).  Between the two batteries (r-pod and vehicle), they'll be trying to equalize voltage, so both batteries will deplete at the same time.

I'll offer some simple advice: don't worry too much about the battery while towing.  If you stop for more than two hours while towing, switch your fridge over to propane (don't forget to switch it back to 12v before you head back onto the highway).  Between your alternator, your vehicle's battery and the r-pod's battery everything will be fine while you're hauling down the highway.
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 7:09pm
Outbound
That was a great answer.  I was thinking the same things that he was.  We have camped for many years but we were what you might call "dry campers".  we had no fridge or heater.  So deprived!!!!  LOL
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 9:31pm
Cool! Thanks a bunch for the words of wisdom. From what you guys said, I guess I will have that live wire installed on the 7-pin.
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Kenn Kenn wrote:

Cool! Thanks a bunch for the words of wisdom. From what you guys said, I guess I will have that live wire installed on the 7-pin.

Ah... I now understand Lamp

If your camping trips will involve traveling for more than four hours or if you'll be doing any dry camping (no electricity), then you definitely need the charge line.  Otherwise, you could probably squeak by without it.  I'd still recommend that you get it anyway, tho.
joe&carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe&carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 8:24am
Congratulations on your 176. You are certain to enjoy the experience.  Otherwise, you mention going to a separate location to get the brake controller, etc installed.  February, a year ago, Couch's did all the necessary mods to set up our seven pin connector, brake controller, etc. so  everything was known to be working with the pod when we left the dealership.  (Left the 4-pin alone so it can contintue to be used.)  Obviously, not necessary to do it that way, just a consideration for one stop instead of two.  Joe  Smile
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 3:00pm

The amount of propane used by the fridge is minimal.  You'll get 20-25 days continuous usage from a 20 lb propane tank.  The stove also won't consume much - about 1 lb per hour, so unless Gordon Ramsay is preparing Christmas Dinner in your r-pod, it shouldn't have much impact on your propane tank.  The hot water heater consumes a bit more propane - about 15 days out of a 20 lb tank.  The furnace is the biggest consumer of propane - about 1 lb per hour (depending on how cold it is outside, of course).  But propane is inexpensive, easy to refill and easy to monitor the remaining amount, so don't fret too much about it.

As far as your battery, there's nothing magical.  Yes, when plugged into your vehicle, the r-pod will draw power from your alternator (if the vehicle is running) or your vehicle's battery (if its not).  Between the two batteries (r-pod and vehicle), they'll be trying to equalize voltage, so both batteries will deplete at the same time.

I'll offer some simple advice: don't worry too much about the battery while towing.  If you stop for more than two hours while towing, switch your fridge over to propane (don't forget to switch it back to 12v before you head back onto the highway).  Between your alternator, your vehicle's battery and the r-pod's battery everything will be fine while you're hauling down the highway.
[/QUOTE]

Outbound
You got me thinking with your answer that current would be drawn from both batteries when the TV was not running.  I thought I had asked about that when I took delivery of our pod and I thought I had seen some thing about it when I got my brake controller.  So after researching my Tow Vehicle, a Ford F150, here is what applies in my case.  The Ford is equipped with a Battery Charge Relay that only connects the plug to the truck's battery when the ignition switch is energized. So the Tow Vehicle battery is disconnected from the trailer if the ignition is off.  I can only say that for my Tow Vehicle so what you have said may very well be correct for other tow vehicles.  The refrigerator will be drawing current from the trailer's battery if it is not switched to propane as you suggested when my Tow Vehicle is shut off.
I found your estimates of propane usage very helpful .  I had no idea about the consumption rates.
Thanks
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 6:32pm
Sandpiper, you're absolutely correct.  A relay in your TV can be used to prevent the trailer from drawing down the charge on the TV's battery.

There are, of course, advantages and disadvantages to having a relay installed on the charge line.  Its a fairly simply install, but I prefer not to have one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic