r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Photos of First Pod-venture!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photos of First Pod-venture!
    Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 3:01am
Hello Podders!

Returned Sunday from our first pod-tastic podventure!!
It was better than we could have ever hoped for!  After the chaos of the faulty frame weld and the cracked frame the beginning of last week, we had an absolute perfect trip!

The weather was perfect!  Highs in the 70's and in the 50's at night.  A cloudless four days!

We arrived at Indian Creek Recreation Area in central Louisiana at 8:00 Thursday morning.  We knew we were in the right place when were nearing our camp spot and a bald eagle splashed the surface of the lake to grab a fish!  Oh, we were so excited!  (Eagles do winter in Louisiana, and some actually stay year round!)

The pod performed flawlessly!  We didn't use the furnace, but opted for the small electric heater we brought along.  We tried it a couple of times, and it heated the pod up in no time.  I highly recommend using one.

The "new" used tow vehicle, a 2001 Expedition with V8 Trition, pulled the 172 like it wasn't there.  I was much more comfortable pulling the pod with that than my two door jeep.  Much safer!  We got 10.1 mpg on the interstate, which is down about 7 mpg from normal interstate travel.

We found everything to be much more user friendly than what we expected, after reading tons of material on how everything worked, we felt a little intimidated. 

Our only complaint would be the beds.  The cushons on the fold down table bed didn't stay in place if you turned over too many times.  The bunk beds are a little hard.  We plan on taking care of those issues before next trip.

Here are a few photos!  Hope you all enjoy!  Can't wait to go again!
Lisa

Our spot next to the lake.  Being next to the lake was heaven!  We watched ducks and herons the  entire trip.  And of course, our eagle!

Our spot next to the lake.
Sunrise over Indian Creek Reservoir.
Morning coffee on the camp stove!  Nothing better tasting in the world!  We preferred to cook outside on the camp stove.  Just tastes better outside!
A shot of the camping area on the opposite side of the lake.
Sunset view from our camping spot.
Another sunset view from our camping spot.
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
2001 Ford Expedition-Tow Vehicle
2010 Model 172 R-Pod
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 3:27am
Wow !!! Great view !!! Glad the Pod performed as hoped.
One couldn't ask for better weather !!!

Really Happy it was a successful trip.....

HAPPY PODing !!!
Mamajomba View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamajomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 3:43am
I lived in Lafayette for 10 years and still own a house there.  I'm thinking about a trip to check on the house when I get my r-pod.  I don't recall Indian Creek.  How far from Lafayette is it?
Mamajomba
JeepPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 4:02am

Mamajomba,

If you go straight up I-49, Indian Creek is about 70 mile north of Lafayette, or just about 20 miles southwest of Alexandria.  (Right outside of Woodworth)  It is part of Alexander State Forest.
I am originally from Pineville, so it is close to my stomping grounds and close to family.
Wonderful place.  We have been camping there since high school.
Lisa
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
2010 Model 172 R-Pod
Leaflin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leaflin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 5:10am
GREAT PHOTOS LISA!
I'm glad you had a good time and wonderful weather.
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 5:10am
JeepPod~

Congratulations! That campground is beautiful, and I can almost smell the morning coffee from here!

We are home to many bald eagles in the summer and we watch them fly over the river from our cabin- I always wondered (and now I know) where many of them go in the winter.

Great pix and many happy podding adventures!
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 5:17am
Originally posted by JeepPod JeepPod wrote:

Our only complaint would be the beds.  The cushons on the fold down table bed didn't stay in place if you turned over too many times.  The bunk beds are a little hard.  We plan on taking care of those issues before next trip.

Just about any foam pad will take care of the cushon migration problem. We started with a cheap egg crate which worked OK, but if you want a little piece of heaven, a good 3 inch memory foam is the ultimate and still rolls up well in the morning if you want your dinette back.
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
JeepPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 5:30am
Tusten,
Thanks for the heads up on the 3-inch memory foam!
We might as well start off with what is the most comfortable!
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
2010 Model 172 R-Pod
JeepPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 5:35am
P.S. Tusten!
Even with the eagles wintering down here in Louisiana,  it is still a GREAT treat to see them!  They are not too common even in the winter.  I have noticed over the past few years that they seem to have increased in numbers.  They have made quite a come-back.
Its really a joy when we see them and it causes a LOT of excitement! Big smile
Lisa
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
2010 Model 172 R-Pod
Mamajomba View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamajomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 6:38am
Holy cow!  Can't remember how many times I stopped at LeCompte to eat a plate lunch or just some pie.  That was years ago before there was an I-49.  I never knew anything about Indian Creek.   Back then I never knew eagles wintered in Louisiana either.   We see them here from about early November to March.  It is always exciting to see one, even if they are just sitting in a tree.
Mamajomba 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic