r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC Leaking Inside

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC Leaking Inside
    Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 11:32pm
There have been a few of us having a problem with the AC leaking water into the Pod.  If you have had this happen please post it here.  After hearing from everyone I'm going to let Forest River know about this problem.

Terry
RpodMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RpodMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2009 at 6:34am
do you think it might be condensation???
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2009 at 7:08am
Originally posted by RpodMan RpodMan wrote:

do you think it might be condensation???

I figured that it was but it still shouldn't be leaking inside.  I had a LOT of water dripping and landing right in front of the bathroom door.  In my case it was a very hot day (90+) and very humid.  The AC had been running for a few hours.  A dealer down here could not get it to do that for him though.

Terry
kotasnana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kotasnana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2009 at 12:31pm
WE HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM, TOOK IT TO SERVICE AND IT DIDN'T HAPPEN TO THEM
kayaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 7:31am
I had the problem last weekend in the Keys.  I thought something was clogged as no water was running down the back of the RPOD.  Then it went away.
Mary & Don View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary & Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 8:24am
I talked to Susan at Forest River on Friday.  She was submiting this problem to the Dometic engineers for a fix since she has had several complaints.  She told me it would be ok to take it in for service next week.  They should decide on a fix by that time.  It is a probem with condensation during hot, humid weather.  If I understood right, the cold air accumulates in the top of the pod and meets the warmer coils which then causes the drip.  I believe they will add insulation to the unit.  We have to find out what Dometic recommends.
Mary & Don
R-Pod 175
Columbus, Ohio

Life is good in R-Pod!
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 9:09am
My A/C Leaked too.  It was a very hot day, and first thing I did was hook up electric and kick on a/c.  Left it on about 30 minutes..when I got back it was dripping...but I also realized I had not leveled the pod.   Once it was level it stop dripping.  So I don't know if it's the A/c fault or mine.

Would be interested in your results.

Lee
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 9:45am
Its odd that dealers are just finding out about the leaking problems.  Its a common problem with most all roof airconditioners.  It usually comes down to a short list of items.    If the current dometic units are like older models, they had small holes near the base on the outside of the unit where condensation drains from the unit.   This means it drains its condensation out onto the roof of the unit on the outside.   This can lead to a leaking inside the unit if any of the following occurs:
- Holes get clogged with dust/dirt over time or with sealant during installation
- Not enough self leveling sealant applied to roof around airconditioning unit, allowing water to pool causing it to leak in.
- the seal around the airconditioner is tricking if its not tight enough then it can leak, if you overtighten it you can damage the seal and it will leak

Now if the unit leaks while running, but doesn't leak while it rains its most likely one of the drain holes is plugged.   If the seal around the airconditioner is bad, or there is not enough self leveling sealant.  The roof will usually leak in the rain as well as when air conditioner is running.   

If it "leaks" when the air conditioner is running but not when it rains, then its possible one of the drain holes is plugged.  Often your dealer won't be able to duplicate it easily.   This is because the water appearing inside the trailer is dependent on the pitch and roll orientation of the trailer at the time of the leak and the humidity.   There are usually two or more drain holes.   If your vehicle is completely level it should be able to drain out of both holes, if vehicle is not completely level it might only be able to drain out of just one hole.   If that hole is the one that is clogged, then it could cause the water to build up and leak out of the condensation pan and into the trailer.   If the dealer doesn't duplicate the pitch/roll of the trailer when the leak happened, they could run it all day and not get water inside the trailer.  

If you are experiencing a leak while traveling you can gather more specific information to help the dealer fix the problem.

Check and document the pitch/roll of the trailer on your bubble levels. (high on right, slightly low at front, etc)  Then adjust the level of the trailer.  Experimenting with having it high in the front, high in the back, then left, then right.  Not alot just a little.  See if a specific trailer orientation fixes the problem or makes it worse.  Have this information available for your dealer.   Have them check the condensation drainage holes to make sure they are clear and not clogged.  

With the above information the dealer should be able to duplicate the orientation of the trailer, remove the airconditioner shroud, poor some water into the condensation collection pan and check for leaks and proper drainage from the pan. 

I have seen alot of dealerships just park the trailer, turn on the AC, and wait for water to appear someplace.   90% of the time they will find nothing wrong and just send the RV back to you.  That is unless you are lucky enough to find a mechanic who actually knows something about A/C units.

There is an possiblity that the design of the unit means the drainage pan is not collecting all the condensation from the evapuration coils, but I would think that if that was the case then all the units would be experiencing the exact same problem.   
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 11:26am
GMANDUAL:  that sounds like it could very well be the problem.  Do you know if more holes could be added so the water could drain from 4 different directions?  Myself, I don't really care if I am perfectly level or not.  Close is good!LOL

Terry
2 P's in a Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2 P's in a Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 4:31pm
Had the same problem with mine, dealer was able to duplicate the water dripping. I noticed it when the fan was on high it would actually "blow" the water out onto the floor. From the dealer's job ticket it reads: 
Cause: Condensation is building up due to the lack of insulation between the output and intake air.
Correction: Wrapped the output boot with foam and foil tape to insulate. Also insulated the a/c shroud where the output and intake air divider runs. Let run several hours.

I just tried it a week ago and there is still some water in the bottom tray when I was running the AC, although it didn't drip on the floor I will be taking it back for further work to correct it. The dealer did call Dometic and this was their suggestion for repair.

Steve & Karen
2010 RP171
Proud parents since June 2009
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic