r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

podmod: battery disconnect switch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 10:32am
Originally posted by geneowens geneowens wrote:

I have posted this before but I bought a battery box in the fishing department at Walmart that has the fuse and 12V outlets built in. You put the battery inside the box and hook it up then you have outside terminals for connecting the RV. It gives a secure/snug connection when traveling but disconnects easily when RV is in storage -$44.
Hi Gene,

That sounds like an ideal product. Do you have a link to the Walmart website (I couldn't find it) or product name/number or pic? 

Thanks,

Phil
2010 R-pod 171 (sold)
2010 Surveyor SV251 towed by a 2010 Chevrolet Avalanche
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 1:15pm
Phil, I'm pretty sure that Gene is talking about the Minn Kota Trolling Motor Power Center.  I bought one a couple of years ago for my trolling motor.  Like Gene, I bought it at WalMart - I think that it cost about $60 CDN at the time.  I've occasionally seen them at Canadian Tire too.

It is a nice product, no question.  However, I would hesitate to use it on my trailer, simply because the power leads are exposed to the elements.  Because it is such a nice product, I'd worry about it being stolen - which would mean fitting it with some sort of lock.  I also would have thought that the box would be too wide for the r-pod's battery tray, but if Gene says it fits, then I'll take his word for it.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
geneowens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geneowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 5:57pm
Guys, I have not put the new box on the Pod yet but I just carried it out to the Pod and it appears to be the same size as the battery box on my Pod. It also has a tester built in as well and two 12V outlets. It is made by Attwood. The Walmart item number is 002269790761 and the price was $44.96 USD. I purchased it on January 28, 2010. Perhaps a little electric grease would avoid any corrosion issues. It has a nice handle for carrying too. It would make the battery/box combo a more inviting target for thieves - have to concede that one!!!!
Gene
sdpullen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdpullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 5:33pm
I bought a battery disconnect switch like the one in your photos but the switch instructions call for connecting one side of the switch to the negative side of the battery. Is there a better reason for connecting the switch to the positive side? Great photos of your mod!
Steve
Steve & Carolyn from Michigan
rpod 173
05 Chevy Trailblazer LS 6 cyl
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 6:16pm
I have installed a disconnect switch too and my instructions said to add the switch to the Positive cable (for a negative ground system) or the negative cable (for a RARE positive ground system).  The R Pod wiring is a negative ground system therefore the switch should be installed in the Positive  cable.
Here is my take on the why.
If the negative cable is disconnected and you inadvertently ground a positive wire somewhere in the Pod you may apply all the power in the battery directly to ground with dire consequences. 
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 6:28pm
The instructions that came with my switch clearly stated that the switch should be installed on the positive lead.

However, electrically, it really doesn't matter.

Undoubtedly, someone will bring up that automotive manufacturers generally state that when removing a vehicle battery, the negative lead must be removed first; they may then extrapolate that its the negative lead must be switched.  I agree, it is wise advice to remove the negative lead first when removing an automotive battery:

Quote Imagine using a screwdriver to loosen the positive lead on an automotive battery; the negative lead is still connected and the vehicle is grounded.  As you know, in the engine compartment, there is a lot of metal to be found.  As you unscrew the positive lead, imagine your screwdriver slipping and accidentally touching a body panel or other piece of metal while still touching the positive lead on your battery.  Your screwdriver will short the battery via the grounded vehicle body, possibly sparking, but definitely moving a lot of amps and creating a dangerous situation.

Now, instead imagine removing the negative lead first.  If your screwdriver should slip and touch some metal in the engine compartment, the battery won't short and there isn't a dangerous situation (because you're touching negative to negative - no current will flow).  Once you've removed the negative lead, you move to the positive terminal.  This time, if your screwdriver should slip and touch metal in the engine compartment... nothing will happen because the negative lead has already been removed and the vehicle isn't grounded.

But, as you know by looking at your r-pod's plastic battery box and positioning of all grounded metal around the battery, there's no danger of accidentally shorting the positive lead.  But applying the vehicle-battery-removal-procedure to switching the r-pod's battery is nonsense anyway, because we're not removing the battery - we're simply adding a switch!

Personally, I prefer to switch the positive side.  This approach is consistent with the wiring in the rest of the trailer (e.g. the positive goes to the converter; the positive wires are fused; even the switch for the exterior light is installed on the positive side).

But, make your own choice.  In the end, it really doesn't matter.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 6:42pm

Different organizations with have different views on whether its better to have it on the positive or the negative cable on the battery. 

For example under NHRA (National Hot Rod Association) racing rules I had to have the battery disconnect on the positive leg of the battery when I raced my truck.   

Other organizations recommend putting it on the negative connection.   The reason being your are less likely to zap your self while installing it.   If you are install the battery disconnect on the positive leg, and your wrench slips across to something while attatching cable or you touch something grounded, then you are in for a zap.   If you are install a switch on the negative side, and your wrench slips and touches a ground nothing will happen.   This is the same logic by which when you are removing a battery they say to disconnect the negative first, as a wrench slip is less likely to get you zapped.

Electrically it makes no difference on the POD, could do it either way.   If you have a habit of fumbling with our wrenches the negative side is a better bet. :-)
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 1:34pm
TXboonedocker...

This should bring it back to the top, I only did the turn off, still want to add the 12volt.

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic