r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Renew Exterior

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Renew Exterior
    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 4:55pm
Who knows the best way to restore the fiberglass exterior shell? The side facing the sun is worse. It has whitened (is that oxidation?) and maybe faded from sitting outside for long lengths of time. Any hints?
Kingskerswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:49pm
First of all I am surprised no one has stepped up to the plate and offered some potential solutions, just any solution. Secondly, I do not profess to be an expert in body paint finishing.  However, I have had some success in renovating some mild oxidation on our Rpod using a good quality cutting/polishing agent (Meguires in my case).  I am sure there are dozens of good alternate products available.  So I would suggest this as a first step.  If decals and stickers are fading they probably need to be replaced.  If cutting/polishing does not achieve the desired result then what I consider a last, radical and costly step would be to get in touch with an auto body refinisher.  
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 8:00pm
I sure need to thank the only one answering my ad. Kelowna BC sounds like an interesting place, but I don't have a clue where it is. First, I certainly will not be taking it to a pro, since I was a pro house painter. I guess you might have heard about the fire at the R-pod finishing company. I think it was an accident with the lamination process they were using. Maybe that was highly flamable material. My guess is there is a type of clear coat on top of the painted fiberglass. If that wears off it needs to be replaced to give it that new, even shine. I've tried rubbing compound, and wax, but it doesn't give it an even, brilliant shine like the opposite side of the camper. It's really not bad,just another project. Thanks
Riggingslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riggingslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 9:15pm
I agree with Kingskerwell about Meguires.  I have used that on Plexiglas aircrft wind screens for years and it does a nice job. Maybe talk to a boat restoration person about polishing it.   Living in the Pacific Northwest I mostly have to deal with getting the moss and mildew off the exterior pulse tree sap.    
Life in the great Northwest
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 10:26am
My sister just did her 2014 177 with the meguires rv cleaning wax and a cordless buffer.. it looks fantastic.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic