r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steppin Up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steppin Up
    Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 2:05pm
Has anybody been successful in replacing the single step with a double step? My 2016 171 has risers which make the step steeper. I'm also looking for a good sturdy portable step, but thought the replacement steps might be better.
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 5:00pm
Hello Oliver.  Wondered where you been.  Only about a bazillion people have done that, including me a few years back.  As I recall I had to modify a couple of mounting holes but other than that, easy mod.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 6:44pm
Hey mcarter. Seems I only come in here when I need something. You are usually the one to come to my rescue. I am living in my 2016 171 at a military campground awaiting a court date for a disability claim. So I have plenty of time on my hands. I've been looking at old posts on the subject, including yours, and still don't know which one to go with. Any suggestions?
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 7:41pm
Hey Oliver.  Mine is the FLEXCO two step.  I had to elongate (with a drill) the back to bolt holes, other than that easy.  Works great.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 10:02am
I'm going to order the Flexco smfp-2100 on Amazon. E-trailer is $200. The Amazon one is $125. It looks pretty easy to replace. Do you have risers on your pod? Does yours have the proper distance between steps? One guy said the bottom step was useless because it was on the ground...I wonder if these steps will fit all R-pod models...
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 5:26pm
Yep, I have risers, bottom step is low but works fine, two steps will make a difference over one.  Several have used the FLEXCOs.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 7:26pm
Thanks Mike.
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 8:18pm
Today I replaced the single step with the double step. My first, immediate reaction was WOW, a big improvement. It wasn't easy for just me, because I didn't have a helping hand. As expected, I had to elongate the back holes. A drill made this easier, then some filing. Using my jack to raise it up into position made it easier, since it weighs 30 lbs. It barely fit. I bought it at Camping World for the internet price of $121.88. Stromberg Carlson Flexco SMFP-2100. Item 82431. The best part about it? Made in the USA.
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 8:21pm
Happy Oliver.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic