r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Surge Protectors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 6:54pm
I've owned mine for several years and used them multiple times.  They met my needs.  products that don't work don't sell or have good reviews.  All I can tell you is the ones I have are reliable.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 8:57pm
Went to Camping World today and bought a Surge Guard 34931. Wasn't cheap, but nothing there is. It was the only place I could get one quick, since I might be hooking up in a military campground Monday, and it looks like old pedistals. I think they are required to keep them up, but you never know.
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 8:33pm
Went to an old military campground today. The manager said the 30 amp pedestals were put in in 1930. They look like they haven't had anything done to them since then, though he denies it. It was a good thing I had my surge guard. The first site I hooked up to wouldn't let me power up and read reverse polarity. So I move to another one, and it blew a fuse, and shocked me. So I moved to a third one, and I'm there now, in air conditioned bliss, with my new Surge Guard purring like a spoiled cat. Maybe somebody can interpret for me what it is reading.
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 9:27am
There are different types of protectors.  Mine plugs into the pedestal and when 30A power is applied it does an analysis.  Mine takes a minute or two to do that analysis, then it clicks and indicates POWER OK.  It's looking at voltage level (single phase on a 30A), neutral and ground lines, reverse polarity, and frequency.  Once you plug RV in, it continues that monitoring cycle to ensure none of the power circuit parameters change, like voltage drops low or high (surge), if one does it shuts the circuit down and montitors the line until it comes back to normal.  Then it closes loop and RV is back on line.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 8:05pm
That's what mine does. So if it finds a problem, it will shut down power to the RV, but will automatically return power to RV when it resolves the problem, or it comes back to normal? What if it doesn't come back to normal?
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 9:51am
Then the problem wasn't resolved and you need to troubleshoot the power source and correct issue.  The protector doesn't fix anything.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic