r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help! AC quit. Themostat flashing E5?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! AC quit. Themostat flashing E5?
    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 7:46pm
Help! Thermostat flashing E5 AC not working.
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 8:08pm
Oliver,

Shut RV down, remove all input power, let it sit and restart.  Can't tell you how long to let it sit, but give it time.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 9:00pm
Tried that. Still not working. E5 flashes

Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 9:43pm
I took the inside cover off. Moved around some of the wires tucked up in there. They looked dirty. I was looking for what looked like a sensor. But didn't see anything except some connected wires. Somehow moving them must have done something. I'm back in business! I had visions of an expensive repair, and spending the night, and who knows how much longer in heat and humidity. The AC on this thing is the heart. Without it all you have is misery in South Carolina summers. Thanks MCarter. I'm hooked up to a friend's 30A garage. He's leaving tomorrow. Monday I'm moving to a military campground.. He said he doesn't believe in miracles. I'm going to tell him he better start!
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 1:40pm
The E5 code is flashing again, and no AC. Help! Somebody said it could be I need to drain the collected water through a hose in the back interior of the AC but I don't know.
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 3:12pm
Oliver,

I would ignore the water drain advice.  You have a sensor issue, real or AC thinks real.  May possibly be a thermostat issue, but these sensors do go bad.  If I recall you can remove inside cover and see the sensor looking up into AC.  I think you need a service tech, because it is reoccurring.  I see some advising a thermostat reset which process is available on the interweb.  Have to make sure it is for your model thermostat.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 7:30pm
I did what you said, cut the shore power, and disconnected the batteries for about 20 minutes, and it's working now, for how long? I have the cover off, do you know what the sensor looks like? Looking up all I see are wires tied together, so I don't know what I'm looking for. I was told it's a simple, inexpensive thing to replace that sensor, if I know where it was.
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 7:54pm
I'm at Short Stay, a military campground in South Carolina. The security guy just came by and warned me about some high winds coming. I asked him about my AC and he told me something interesting. He said when the temp is high outside, set the AC so that it can gradually get colder. Like if it was 90 outside, set it at 80 until the AC starts to cycle, then set it lower. And he said to leave it running about 80 when I leave for the day. I've been turning it off when I leave, then starting it at 68 when I return. Maybe that's it. Worth a try.
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 8:44pm
Oliver,

It's a freeze sensor.  So getting it to run and slowly lowering temp may very well compensate for a freeze indication.  I sure would try it.  I think they sell the sensors on Amazon, I was told the sensor is viewable in the coils with the inside cover off.  It should have two wires on it and a dual wire plug.  It plugs into harness then mounts in AC.    Personally I have never looked for one, so operating blind. 
Mike Carter
2015 178
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 8:13pm
Today, looking up beyond the wires I found a single black wire jammed into the coils. I'm guessing this is the sensor in question. My hand and arm can just fit up there to grasp it. It looks like it needs cleaning, but I wiggled it a little without pulling it out of the coil. Maybe that helped, because it's working as I'm typing this. I will put it to the ultimate test for all things earthly...time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic