r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hot water heater usage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot water heater usage
    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 11:33am
Does anybody have a link to proper Hot water/tank/shower usage?
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 8:47am
?? fill system, turn on WH gas or electric if available, or both if wanted.. Give it 1/2 and hour or so.. hot water.

Remember you only have a 30 gallon grey tank// save long showers for the CG facilities.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 11:42am
Do I need to turn flip the outside HWH switch off after use?
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 5:16pm
NO, if you have city water attached and on, the WH works just like your house, as water is used, water heats.  If I detach city water or I don't have water in fresh water tank, I turn off the outside and inside breaker.  You never want both breakers on when the WH tank is empty.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 7:44pm
By inside braker do you mean the water heater switch beside the DSI fault?
I'm hooked up to a friend's water spiqet, so when I finished my shower, I turned the spiqet off. But I could just leave that on, right? as long as I'm hooked up. But I turned it off because he might want to use it also. Then I turned the outside switch at the HWH off. I did not use gas. That was the first shower I've ever had in here since I bought the pod 4 years ago. Here's my take. I'm overall pleased, and glad to be going to bed clean. The outside HWH switch was very hard to switch. I had to really push it hard. At first I thought it was frozen or broken. The water didn't get as hot as I would like but maybe I didn't give it long enough. I think his water is from a well. so low pressure, but adequite. Glad it's working.
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 12:01pm
Hey Oliver, good news.  I'm talking about the WH breaker that is in the CB panel with all other CBs.  Personally I would turn off one of the two electric CBs associated with the WH if I didn't have an ON city water connection.  I don't want to forget and burn the WH element up, it only takes a bit with an empty WH.  The breaker I think you are talking about is the one that controls WH on gas.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 1:13pm
So are you saying it's only necessary to turn off the outside WH switch if I'm not hooked up to city water? What if I'm hooked up, but the water is turned off? The HWH would still be full, right? But maybe it's a good idea to switch to off anyway. What do you think? And do you know why that switch is so hard to push? And what about the two reset buttons at the HWH?
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 7:01pm
Today I got a great, long, hot shower. Even the switch was working easier. I am very pleased. Appreciate all helpful input! Recommend the Oxygenics shower head from Walmart. Small and uses less water. Designed for RVs. You can even use it as a Bidet.
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 7:07pm
The button resets are the limit resets for the heater. The left-hand button is the electric circuit reset and the right- hand is the LP reset. If both power switches are ON, but the electric element is not heating the water, press both reset buttons on the back of the water heater.

The water heater should stay full as long as city water was applied and you did not use any water. If I disconnect or shut off the hose I turn the WH OFF. I don't want to take chance of WH heating without water supply.  As far as the switch, I would exercise it.  Turn it ON/OFF several times, you haven't used it in four years.
Mike Carter
2015 178
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 10:07am
If you have low pressure from the spigot, fill the fresh water holding tank and use the pump. We have been in CG's a couple times with 5psi.. took about an hour to fill the tank. But then used the pump to have 40 psi or whatever it's set to.

As far as turning the electric side of the WH off.. it's only "necessary" if you have no water in the HW tank. Just like your WH at home, it heats the water, then the thermostat shuts it off, until it needs to heat again. Propane side works the same way.

If "sharing the spigot" at a CG or a while moochdocking, use a "Y" or splitter at the house hook up, so the friend can hook up as needed, without having to mess with your hookup. You want one that has individual flow control for each side. About $5 at Lowes etc.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic