r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stabiliser Screw Jacks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Kingskerswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stabiliser Screw Jacks
    Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 7:17pm
Thanks for "Bal leveller" tip, looks like it would be a good addition.  What drove my screw jack changes was a need to replace my OEM 'wet' noodle' versions that had been seriously damaged by the previous owner with something a bit more robust.  I do recognize that there is a temptation to over torque and potentially create damaging frame racking which is why I said they would be used for "modest levelling" purposes.  Thanks for focusing attention to this with our readers as it may prevent someone from damaging their frame structure. 
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 4:05pm
Using those to level will torque the frame in a manner it isn't designed to handle.  If you want to level with a power tool, use the "Bal Leveler" and drive the screw with your drill. Then stabilize with the stabes.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 1:27pm
Update 2:  I forgot to share finished installed screw jack pictures showing front and rear side access to screw thread adjuster nuts.  The use of my Milwaukee cordless drill makes setting/levelling adjustment a dreamSmile. For those that are interested check out the two following pictures.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 2:00am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 1:57am
Update:  For those of you that are interested, I just completed install of Husky 6500 lb screw jacks.   See picture of welded fabrications attached to screw jacks just prior to chassis welding.  Jacks are orientated +/-45 deg to chassis frame longitudinals and height adjusting nuts are all accessible from LH or RH bodysides.
Very happy with results-now very stable to twisting action that is likely with a single axle trailer and I definitely will use them for modest levelling purposes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 12:15pm
Just sharing some work in progress:  I am currently replacing the poorly constructed and inneffective OEM stabilizer jacks with (4) Husky 6500 lb versions.  To make the mounting effective I am working on adding fabrications to the underbody to strengthen the attachments.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic