r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weird/extreme tire wear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weird/extreme tire wear
    Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 2:25pm
Ahoy, rPodsters:

Just got back from our first long trip with the 178, and we noticed EXTREME tire wear on the right side.  I measured from the side of the trailer to the sidewall of the tire, and it appears the right wheel is slightly canted IN relative to the other wheel, although the tire wear is mostly on the outside.  Anyone else deal with this issue?  What do you think is wrong?  Fixes?  I gotta get this worked out because the trip really chewed through what was a pretty new tire.  I'll have to install the spare and use the worn tire in that role.  I've attached a pic, which might help.

Any help appreciated.  Thanks!

mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 4:29pm
Quote from etrailer, might help:  Not unheard of to have axle issues, but do not want to offer that opinion until you have a professional look at it.

Typically, when the outside edges of a tire are showing wear its because the tires are under-inflated. The solution is to inflate the tires to the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall.

Now if the outside of tires have what looks like gouges are taken out of the rubber most likely it is broken suspension components or its a bent axle or spindle.

Unlike passenger vehicle tires, you always want to have trailer tires inflated to the maximum tire pressure for the best performance and wear.

Now if the wear is on only on the outside edge of the tires that would indicate that either the torsion axle needs to be aligned better, or you just aren't putting enough weight in the trailer. Most standard trailer axles have a bow in them that points up in the middle. When enough weight is placed on the axle it will straighten out. Otherwise the tires will tilt in at the bottoms. This is likely what is going on.

Here is a site you may find informative:

Mike Carter
2015 178
Mr. Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 8:31pm
Thanks so much, Mike!  I'll read that link.  I've been in contact with R-Pod/Forrest River, and they are having me send pics with long sticks and levels leaning up against the tires.  It appears both are tilting/canted bottom out/top in a little, which would suggest more wear on the INSIDE.  I checked tire pressure, and both were close to the max--about 48psi (max is 51).  This is really weird.  The bad tire is tiled a wee bit more than the good one.  We're leaving on a trip Sept. 24, so we gotta get this figured out.  Ugh.
Mr. Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 3:19pm
Hey, Mike:

Thanks again for that link.  I went and checked to see whether or not the bad wheel was toed in or out?  BINGO!  The bad wheel is toed in--towards the front--by about 1/2 in. off parallel.  I've got a call into a local trailer place to see if they can fix it.

Scott
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 5:59pm
Glad I could help, and wish the best for repair.  Hopefully it won't require axle replacement.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Mr. Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 6:34pm
Hey, Mike:

Welp, looks like a new axel.  We're not the first owners, and it's likely this toe-in problem was there from the beginning, but we've never put substantial miles on it until this recent trip to Wyoming--15+ hours driving each way.  I've already contacted Lippert and put the parts order in motion.  Gah.  Hope we can get it done by Sept. 24 when we're scheduled to leave on our next outing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic