r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R-Pod 179 TV tilt mount

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_benham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod 179 TV tilt mount
    Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 5:39pm
Our R-Pod TV mount from the factory comes with a 12" straight bar with the TV mounted at 90 degrees and no method of tilting. I thought of various methods using screws and springs, etc. Harbor Freight this week with their July monthly sales pamphlet has a TV mount that tilts up to 15 degrees down. It is item Number: 64238 for $9.99 with coupon sale, and don't forget your free item!

You use only the new TV mount and its head. Keep and use the original R-Pod 12" support to the wall. Amazingly the new head and mount are interchangeable!!

Remove the TV's 4 Philips head screws. Unbolt the large mounting head - 19 mm.

Put Harbor Freight's mounting head on the end of the original arm: 3/16" allen wrench with 1/2"wrench. Place the flat washers in their original position so that it can be moved with some friction.

Mount the Harbor Freight TV holder to the TV with the original Philips screws. Slip the TV and holder over the new mount and screw in the two side Philips support screws.

Adjust everything to where it will move with some friction.

I tested it by viewing from the dinette and from the bed - perfect viewing angle!!

And it all fits flat against the wall for storage.

Easy, fast and cheap modification.

John - Spokane

Rpodin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rpodin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 9:01pm
Thanks John
Bought the mount at Harbor Freight and followed your instructions.
It works great!

Mike  Hug

mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 8:13am
Welcome, did you use a piece of 3/8" PEX as a bolt sleeve to make up for differences in bolt size between two mounts?  I also used this mount with the PEX sleeve mod.
Mike Carter
2015 178
john_benham View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_benham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 12:37pm
Mike,

Fairly simply modification but makes a difference in viewing. And cheap!

Best,

John B.
john_benham View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_benham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 12:39pm
Mike,

No I didn't. Off on another R-Pod adventure today. When using it, I will notice if there is slack in movement and put in a sleeve.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Later,

John B.
Rpodin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rpodin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 1:20am

I used a thick black nylon washer that had the hole slightly larger than the HF bolt.  When tightened, it centered the mount and provided a sliding surface.  Works great.  Going out tomorrow for 3 days on a test run.  Cool

Mike
Mike & Roberta Kop
2018 RPOD 176
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic