r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Other Impacts of Axle Risers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote headtale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Other Impacts of Axle Risers?
    Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 1:01am
Anybody's thoughts turning to next spring's camping yet?  Mine are and I have some questions about axle risers.  

Beyond making your rPod less likely to scrape on a driveway or pothole or whatever, do axle risers do anything else that someone considering adding them might want to be aware of?  

I'm thinking of getting 4" risers installed on an rPod182G that I pull with a Town & Country mini-van (shorter trips) or a borrowed truck (longer trips) and wanted to hear your thoughts...

- do axle risers make the rPod easier or harder to pull in any way?  (I read somewhere that the rPod becomes more aerodynamic if it's raised off the ground a bit more but have no idea if this is true or not)
- do they impact how the rPod pulls in cross winds?
- do they impact mileage?
- do they make it harder to get into the rPod's door?  (I think I saw another thread where someone posted that they now kept a step stool to get in their Pod)  
- do they change how the dome sets up (obviously it'll be higher to get it to the highest points of the groove) or hangs to the ground?

Any other thoughts/tips about axle risers?  

Thanks in advance!
Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 9:04am
hi Headtale. 
I've owned 2 pods  the first being a 2010 R-171 and I now have a 2015 R-179.  I have had the factory risers on both.  The questions you pose are good.  When I first purchased my 171, I didn't have the risers and had my hitch jack wrecked due to dragging.  I towed my 171 several thousand miles with the risers in all kinds of road and wind conditions without a problem.  When I bought the 179, I had the dealer install the risers before delivery.  I've taken several trips including the Black hills in all conditions.  Your right, you need to step up higher, but I find the advantages of the higher ground clearance to out weigh any other consideration.  I have no problems as far as side winds etc. 

Lark F-150  R-179
Lark
headtale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote headtale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 10:10pm
Thanks for your thoughts.  

In addition to being higher to step up into the rPod, I'm curious what sort of difference it'll make in the back end since we have a model with a rear garage.  

Anybody out there have axle risers on a model with a rear garage?  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic