r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Towing RPod 180

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickinkats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing RPod 180
    Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 3:45pm
I am looking at the RPod 180 and like others am totally confused about an adequate TV. Would love some help through the experience of others. travels will take me all over the country, flat lands , western mountains etc. Definitely want TV that will be reliable and probably more than I may need to prevent pulling issues. Thanks for your help!
ronahue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronahue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 12:52pm
We have towed our 2015 R179 (about the same weight as the 180) with a 2015 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4 about 20,000miles in the last 18 months. We tow without a WDH or sway control and I feel it has adequate power and no negative sway characteristics. We have 2 trips from Boston through Colorado, Montana and Wyoming again the power is adequate to maintain highway speeds even on the steepest grades in these states. Having said that some people like to have extra power and certainly a larger truck with a V8 or diesel may better suite your needs. I have no experience towing with a car or SUV so I'll leave that to the experts. I will say having a pickup for bed storing items you don't want in the passenger portion of the vehicle like spare gas or your generator is nice. 
ron
Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 8:52am
Towing anything will increase wear and tear on the TV.  With that said, pods can be towed with most vehicles.  However, a short wheel base lighter vehicle will not be as comfortable towing as a longer wheelbase larger vehicle.  If you are going to tow for long trips especially in the west, trade up to a larger TV.  Tow ratings are rather deceptive.  Pick a TV that gives you a good margin.  Of course we all must all stay with in our budget.  A larger TV should have less operating costs as far as repairs in the long run.  Safe traveling and enjoy the RV lifestyle.  It's worth it!

Lark F-150 R-179
Lark
Blue Highways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Highways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 9:58am
Great discussion, you make good points, Lark.... esp. about the "margin" concept. Since a TV vehicle takes on more wear and tear while on towing duty, here's one way to look at it: If you look for a tow vehicle with a towing package that also includes a transmission "TOW/HAUL" mode, then the TV can be thusly adjusted to 1) lower transmission heat build-up and 2) to adjust transmission ratios for towing extra weight by using that setting. Then the "towing" differential axle ratio it comes with works in harmony with that. F-150 is one smart choice; they have aircraft grade aluminum bodies now.

Therefore, such vehicles will not wear as much as one that just simply just has an engine powerful enough (plus the hitch & wiring) to physically tow, yet offers no add'l equipment and transmission setting to "turn on" ie. TOW/HAUL mode ...to absorb the demands of towing. Hence, with a tow package option, there's less wear and tear so that you can keep the vehicle longer for other uses in your life and get more value out of this depreciating asset.

On flat stretches, or long, slight downhill grades, I will often toggle OFF the TOW/HAUL setting to drop r.p.m. for better fuel economy, but always re-engage TOW/HAUL when it's back to stop n go, or inclines. Usually, I just make sure the truck always gets the towing mode engaged at every re-start w/ trailer.

Also, wanted to mention that I did NOT choose the largest engine offering for my TV, I chose the middle engine size. That wouldn't be the average person's choice. I wanted the HWY mileage to be better for the greater part of the year when I am not towing. That was just my choice, most others will choose the absolutely largest engine available to compete on the roadways with traffic, and I understand that too. I'm more passive when it comes to vacation towing through higher traffic areas, so am not interested in trying to "best" some guy with a Cummins diesel and a 5th wheel trailer, cause even with my light R-Pod that still won't happen!

The TV I was happy with has the correct differential gear ratio that accompanied the whole tow package it was optioned with. And finally, a longer wheelbase typically makes for a more stable TV, but you must also be able to accept that longer wheelbase for your lifestyle (garage, driveway, downtown parking, plus other driver's skill levels that would share the vehicle). I am also a big fan of trying to include a back-up camera, if possible. I'm now spoiled by this technology.

Thanks all for allowing my wordy input. Hope everyone that's looking for a new TV finds the perfect vehicle for your Pod travels & year-round lifestyle.

Hoping to read anyone else's recommendations & input whether it agrees or doesn't agree !

Brad & Layli
WanderPod (179 R.R.)
"BG" ('10 Tundra CM 4.6)
NW North Carolina
Formerly from Alaska

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic