r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R-Pod 179 Queen Bed to Lounge modification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_benham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod 179 Queen Bed to Lounge modification
    Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 11:38pm
On our R-Pod 179, the volume below the queen bed was begging to be released!

I took the mattress out (60" x 74"), measured for sectional foam - five cuts of 5" thick high density foam off of eBay:
1 x 27x74"; 2 x 23x33"; 2 x 14x33"

I estimated the fabric to be 5-yards at 42" wide (Tweeds Copper)

And 52 feet of Tiona Raffa vinyl edging.

I cut the larger plywood board to size of the openings.  The inner board was cut in half so that one may store each under each side cushion.  On the left side board I added a hinge so that I can easily access the water filter I added as explained from an earlier modification post.

The frame was made out of Birch wood and screwed in from the inside.  I modified the original cross bar wood support with a dado and two latches.  I added another support in the middle for the two center boards.

The fabric from Forest River was suppose to match ours - not, but close enough...  It was $15. per yard.  The edging was pricey at $1.50 per foot!

I had a local upholstery shop put it all together for me.

It adds an incredible amount of open area and another lounging area.  It feels and is a lot larger and you can add or switch the side cushions to whatever configuration you want!  Usable floor length was 9' 9" now it's 12' 7" which adds 6 ft2 of floor area.  The bed is much firmer now.

Plus the interior heats up faster and you don't have to worry about stored items too near the heater.

Enjoy,
John, R-Pod 179, Spokane

Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 7:48pm
Hi John  

What a nice job and great idea!

Lark 2015 R-179
Lark
john_benham View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_benham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 12:29pm
Thanks Lark.

Not sure if Forest River took this into consideration, but the R-Pod is designed for modifications.  One can't do these things with an Airstream or other high-tech RVs.

I also added an overhead storage shelf for light weight items (sleeping bags, pillows, towels) above the bed.  You can see it one photo. 

I also added a small two-shelf case below the TV for smaller books, CD, DVDs.  I'll add this project soon.

I'm running out of ideas and projects.

Suggestions?

John
Spokane
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic