r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing the Electric water element

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rabuol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing the Electric water element
    Posted: 22 Aug 2009 at 3:52am
Does anyone know or has tips on helping me replace the electric water element ?

I burned my element when I plugged my unit before making sure the water heater tank was full of water.

I got a replacement element (fairly cheap) but need to do the job on site (don't wish to bring unit in from the campsite).  Any play by play from anyone ?

Rabuol
Gomjabber View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gomjabber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2009 at 6:33am
Ok, I don't mean to hijack your thread but I am assuming the water heater is electric?
So I am also assuming it can't run off of the propane tank?
I guess I assumed it was a gas heater.
rabuol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rabuol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2009 at 11:00am
Hi Gomjabber,

Yes, it is the water heater provided with the 171 rpod.  This heater can either be used with propane or electricity.

To go electric you have to remove a cotter pin in order to flick the switch to ON.

This switch is reachable through the outside access panel.

Can anyone help me with the play by play to replacement this electric water element ?

Thanks for your help,

Lou
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2009 at 2:02pm
I would have to go look at mine.  I am going to go to see it in the morning.  There SHOULD be a rather large nut where the wires hook on.  Take the wires off and unscrew the nut.  The big nut is the head of the element. 

I'm guess on this.  That is how it was in my motorhome at least.  I'll check in the morning and let you know unless someone beats me to it.

Terry
rabuol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rabuol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 4:28am
Any suggestions as to how to remove the tube that's in the way, so I can access the electric water element ?

This tube is probably from the propane part of the heater.

Thanks for suggestions.

Lou
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 7:48am
Have you tried going on line to the manufacturer's website?   
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic