r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How important is a torque wrench?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrys39426 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How important is a torque wrench?
    Posted: 16 May 2016 at 1:28pm
I need to adjust an old, but in good shape, trailer hitch to pull my new R-Pod 179 behind my son's pickup truck. How important is it to use a torque wrench instead of just tightening nuts as much as I can? And for replacing wheels if I have a flat? Getting ready for our first long trip and don't need problems! Thanks in advance for any info. (Apparently I originally posted this in the wrong forum; trying again.)
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:02am
I like using a torque wrench on the wheel lugs. 100ftpds. Over tightening them CAN damage the stud, the wheel, and the lug nut.

On the hitches I have worked on, I have never bothered with a torque wrench for that, but I worked on tanks for 20 years.. so IME, just as absolutely tight as they can be gotten is good. You are not going to snap one of those hitch bolts with normal hand tools. I use a 1 inch drive socket set and slider bar with an extension.. I am sure my hitch bolts are somewhere around 450ftpds.. plenty.

If you don't think you are able to get them tight enough, then a torque wrench might be handy, to make sure they are..
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 1:08pm
You have all ready got a good answer.   Every time I hitch up,  I walk around the entire rig making sure that everything is ready for the road.  I check the lights, brake lights, make sure that the hitch is locked down, safety chains and breakaway are in place etc.  Anytime I make a stop, I check everything again.. Make sure the drain covers are in place also.  Check the tires for overheating or low pressure, cuts etc.  a couple of minutes of inspection may save you from a break down on the road.   All truckers are required to do this every day.  Anyone towing should do the same.

Lark f-150 R-179
Lark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic