r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Owners Registry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 182g, need advice.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doghouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 182g, need advice.
    Posted: 03 May 2016 at 12:09am
New member to the rpod family here! We bought a NOS 2014 182g in January and we go to the dealer to pick it up in a few weeks.

We're new to TTs, but have logged many miles backpacking and car camping around the country.

We've been communicating with the dealer to get things in order for picking up the pod. We're getting an e2 weight distribution hitch and a brake controller installed in our 2011 Toyota 4Runner.

Now we're trying to fingers what else we need. We've never owned a TT, never even slept in one before!

We're planning on taking the pod camping a few days after picking her up, so we need to gather our new trailer supplies in advance of towing her home.

So the question? What do we "need" for our first trip? I've been told by the dealer that nothing extra is included with the trailer. We have lots of camping equipment, but what do we need for the trailer itself?

Thanks for the advice.

Jason.
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 10:05am
If "nothing extra" means, "NOTHING extra".. You will need 50 feet or so of RV drinking water hose, an in-line filter, a pressure regulator. RV sewer hose, 10 feet at least, 15 is better. Power adapters for 50A to 30A and 30A to 15/20A. Wheel chocks and a leveling method. RV toilet paper.

Because you now have a real kitchen, all that Peak 1 cooking gear can go into storage, because real cookware IS better. Plus the Pod stove makes way more bTu's then that backpacking spider stove, or Coleman 400A, so heavier/thicker bottoms are better.

We put a mattress cover on, with a full size fitted sheet over that, and still use sleeping bags. You may very well find, very soon, you "need" a different mattress. We did after one night.

After that, just use it, make a list of what you use or don't use, and go from there. It's a small house, and you don't have to carry any of it on your back..  LOL

Here is a link, developed by the FaceBook group, to an Amazon page. It lists everything from "NEED", to need, to want, to nice to have...
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
bjk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bjk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 11:55am
As I have now taken my trailer out on its third trip, it is very fresh on items that I needed to pick up.

In addition to what Furpod suggested, the top of my list was baskets and cupboard/fridge rods for all those stationary objects that refuse to remain so in spectacular ways during transit.   The baskets for things like bread, chips and other perishables, dishware, the rods for those that aren't (spiced, canned/jar goods) or for fridge items during transit.

I also on my first trip got a large basket for those things that are extremely generous at sharing their grime and gunk with those around them--the water hoses, power cords, connectors, etc.   I also discovered quickly the need of the sewer connector to garden hose for the gray water.   I picked up a second "gray hose" just for that.  (Blue hose for drinking water, gray hose for waste water).

Other niceties was a small waste basket for trash (don't forget bags for the trash, dirty laundry, etc).  My knees are now more willing to participating in my outings now that I have a garden cushion for when I'm un/loading things underneath.

If you have a cordless drill, bring it with the right socket so you can zip through the stabilizers when setting up or packing up the trailer.
Doghouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doghouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 4:08pm
Great suggestions. Thank you both!

That's exactly the type of information I was looking for.

Furpod...is that your golden in your profile photo? Good looking pup. We have a 5 month old golden (Teddy) who's excited about his first camping trip...along with our 6 and 2 year old sons. We took a few years off the trail after kids came along and we're exited about heading back out with the new rpod.

Thanks again!
Jason, Lauren, Logan, Eivin, and the dogs ("Dillon" and "Teddy")
2011 Toyota 4Runner
2014 182g
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Doghouse Doghouse wrote:

Great suggestions. Thank you both!

That's exactly the type of information I was looking for.

Furpod...is that your golden in your profile photo? Good looking pup. We have a 5 month old golden (Teddy) who's excited about his first camping trip...along with our 6 and 2 year old sons. We took a few years off the trail after kids came along and we're exited about heading back out with the new rpod.

Thanks again!

Yes, that was Dakota, truly the finest dog that ever peed on a tire. We lost him at 14y.o., 3 years ago. We still have our rescue golden, Maggie, but I suspect this could be her last year camping, she is 14 now, having health issues. And we have the Irish Setter pup.. 20 months, 70 pounds, goofy as the day is long.  Wink
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic