r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What generator should I get?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What generator should I get?
    Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 4:00pm
I'm the proud owner of a new R-179 and admittedly, a novice RV'er (it's taken me decades to realize my dream).  Most of my camping will be in parks, but there appear to be quite a few places I want to go to that will necessitate dry camping, or the bringing of a generator.  When it's mild, I'll go for the former.  When it gets hot, I'm a wimp and want A/C.

My question is to survey what people prefer and why.  Honda? Briggs and Stratton?  Yamaha?  Brand X?  Two 2k generators or one 3k?   I'd love to hear peoples insight and wisdom on this before I get one (or two) generator(s).

brian
Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 6:38pm
Hi BJK   A number of posts are on the website about Generators.  A brief run down:::  You need a 3 K generator for air.  The more expensive units such as the Honda will give a much longer service life, but you pay more up front.  A 3k unit will weigh about 90+ pounds.   2K are about 45,  you can parallel  2k units in several makes to give you 4K.  You need the parallel kit plus the second unit. Check out the other posts here.
Lark f-150  R-179 
Lark
Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 6:49pm
I have a Honda inverter generator which I've owned for over 10 years.  I'm a Ham radio operator.  I've used it a great deal.  All I've had to do is change oil.  Inverters generate electricity at about 20KC and down convert it to pure 60 cycle ac.  Cheap generators are only suitable for things like power tools, not for electronics.  Keep that in mind.
Lark 
Lark
bjk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 1:00pm
I appreciate the insight regarding the sensitivity of electronics with regards to other generators.

For what it's worth, I've learned the hard way that one has to use the advanced search on this forum to get past 6 months in your query.   Once I selected Any for the date, then I was able to see the referenced topics.   I had tried to search before posting, but made this error.

ORPOD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ORPOD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 12:47am
We purchased a 3100 starting / 2800 continuous Champion generator for our R-179 / now R-180 and it works fine for us. It operates our 13,500 air conditioner fine . However, we can only run one appliance at a time. Say the A/C, or the microwave or coffee maker. But it works for us and only cost $599 from Costco, on sale.
Eph 2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic