r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enough towing capacity to cross the Rockies?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pod people Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 9:41pm

when we first bought our 173, we towed it with a Chevy Astro van. We did that for about 15 months and it was apparent it was marginal in all respects-power, braking, transmission. We did it, but didn't like it. As soon as we were able, we got a Ford Expedition with tow package, longer wheel base, more power, more braking, more transmission, more cargo capacity,  etc. 

What a difference. We feel like the pod is hardly there behind us. My wife and I both feel totally comfortable driving and towing.

I realize that everybody cannot have the perfect tow vehicle for lots of reasons-funds, daily driver, size, etc. .  If you have to get a vehicle, check them out carefully.  It does make a huge difference.
Vann
malamuteman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malamuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 11:07pm
Looks like I won't be stating anything new here, as I tow basically the same trailer with an '03 Tacoma w/V6 and since dragging it home to MT from where I bought it in IA we haven't left our valley with it.  We bought it kind of knowing this and expected to use it solely within a 200 mi. radius for local camping.  But when I hooked that thing up for the first time, with stabilizer bars, totally dry and empty of gear and an empty truck with just myself....I was mortified and down shifting to third gear on the first sustained climb!  I thought "oh sh*t, I should turn right around and beg for my money back!"  Remember I had just left the dealer lot in east Iowa and had about 1600 miles to go.....  Long story short, I learned quickly to keep my route strictly to interstate and other multi lane hiways for not only multiple lanes, but also for the most fuel options, slow and steady, restricted to 3rd and 4th and playing the tach around 3000 rpm.  I worried about my vehicle and that isn't fun, and if it isn't fun then you won't use it and will be just wasting your time and your money, not to mention putting heavy use on your rig!  In the end I have it and it works well around here, as we suspected, but we won't go out of state until we get a Tundra in the future.  Why Iowa from Montana....I saved around $5000 -$7000 making the trip.  Good luck!
2015 RP178
'03 Tacoma manual trans
'02 4Runner auto trans
Wife, kids and malalmutes
davej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 11:03pm
I have a 2016 GMC Canyon all terrain, V6 and tow a 178. Living in the Denver area I have crossed the Rockies several times and have had no problems. It has enough power to pull all 3100 lbs. Mileage runs 9.5 over the mountains and 11.5 on the flats. All in all a great vehicle for towing.
Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 7:34am
I  read a interesting article on a website that stated that all vehicle manufacturers over rate the towing capacity of all classes.  Each has it's own standards for this.  Get the most vehicle you can afford with the longest wheel base, tow package and motor.  Keep good tires on it, check pressures and do the maintenance based on heavy service.  When towing, it's not just about your personal safety but others on the road.

Lark F -150 R-179
Lark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic