r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solar Panel - 150 w

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schwartzw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 2:43am
Would this work as a setup for keeping the dual batteries on my r-pod charged up?  (mounted similar to your setup)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H58C2VU

Looks like everything I need other than the silicon for the holes in the roof and hardware to mount the controller.

Bill

2015 r-pod 182g HRE
john_benham View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_benham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 6:51pm
Bill,

TheZamp wiring goes directly to the batteries.  One needs to put a charge controller between the solar panel and the battery(ies).  Otherwise you will continually (day) be putting in 22 vdc into the batteries which may harm the batteries.

Hindsight, I think I might of had the spacing to run the solar panel wiring to Zamp connector underneath the right rear edge weather stripping for a much cleaner installation.  Check this out before getting all of those clamps, etc. 

Just spent 8-days at the North Rim Grand Canyon volunteering with the Park service.  R-Pod was in partial shade but panel kept batteries full!

Also lodge restaurant gave me an empty four gallon plastic food bucket.  Perfect size to fit under the gray water outlet and empty into the campground drain system at an outside sink next to bathrooms.  The Park Service generally do not have full RV setups.  The NPS campground supervisor said it was OK!

Good luck with your projects.

John B.
Spokane 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_benham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 6:55pm

Looks good to me!!

Share pics with us.

John B.
Spokane
schwartzw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schwartzw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 12:00pm
So while we had the camper at home last friday loading it up for the weekend trip I got a ladder out so I could measure up the roof (182g) and with the ac, tv antenna, bathroom vents space is tight. I think I could fix a panel at the back right in front of the hinges for the garage but unless I slid it way back and used something to prop it up more level it'd get shadows from the ac unit.

I think for now I'm going to go with this option.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HR8YNK6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1AT1AS8GA4LET&coliid=I34EY8PJ5OER06&psc=1

It's similar to the zamp suitcase setups but a lot more affordable.  I can just plug this in to the zamp connector when i'm camping off grid.
2015 r-pod 182g HRE
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_benham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 12:21pm
Nice thing about your suggestion is no holes are drilled in roof and no modifications.  You simply follow the sun.  Recently when camping in the shade, my roof top panel did supply me with power, but barely.  A fellow RVer had a portable panel but was always adjusting it's angle to the sun.  Plus a portable system takes up storage space.

Something for everyone out there!

Renogy makes nice setups.

Later,

John
Spokane
TimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 4:51pm
Can you advise which of the connectors on the body of the RPod is negative and which is positive?

Is the metal post visible the positive or negative?

Consequences of connecting with reversed polarity?

Will a connector of 16ga wire be adequate to wire to the cables from the cell?

Thanks,

Tim in Colorado
tim1649@gmail.com
schwartzw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schwartzw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 1:01am
I bought the following items in total

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JHXF4O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Cut in half and soldered to....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NCOKZQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01

plugged into (via the mc4 connectors)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HR8YNK6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

All of which plugs nicely into my rpod :)

Tim, I'm in Colorado too.  if you're in the westminster/broomfield area PM me and you can come look at it.

Bill

2015 r-pod 182g HRE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic