r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Towing / WD/Sway Control

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing / WD/Sway Control
    Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 11:27am
I'm new to camping and towing. I just purchased a 2015 179. My TV is a 2012 Tacoma Dbl cab 4x4 with factory tow package and a Prodigy 2 break control. I have also installed a simple friction sway bar. So far I've only towed it home from the dealer, about 115 miles of interstate and had no trouble. However, I'm confused about weather or not I need a weight distribution/sway control hitch system.   When I read the various forums on the subject it seems that most people say that it's necessary with some folks saying its absolutely not necessary.   I have talked with three RV/TT dealers and they all say it's not necessary (and they could have sold me one if they said it was needed). I talked with a person who brokers and delivers RV/TT around the country he says not needed on my TT/TV combination. In addition I've talked with reps from the manufacturer of two top name WD/Sway systems and say not needed one my combination. Although I didn't understand much of the science one of the dealers and a manufacture rep said that using a WD/Sway system with a light weight single axle trailer actually can create a dangerous situation, they said the simple sway bar and break controller are best and safest when used correctly.
With all that said I still feel that all of the folks who post about the value of these systems can't all be wrong. What am I missing? Any thoughts would be appreciated.   I want to err on the side of safety and saving money is not the issue.
Thanks!
Tomcamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomcamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 1:27pm
Well Doug, somebody should be responding to your important question, so here goes.    What you say is a really good summary of the whole business.   We installed an E2 weight distribution system with integral sway control three years ago on our Rpod 2010 177.     The E2 helps somewhat I think it pulls more like one unit rather than two separate ones; maybe gives you more control?   The E2 also helps to increase the available tongue weight if that is needed by putting more weight on the front axel of the tower.    We have had no problems in three years.     I agree with you that a combination of just the sway control and brake controller are probably all you need for most circumstances.    Possibly because of the weight, the controller with brakes is mandatory.     I would not recommend you getting/needing the weight distribution.      I hope this helps.    We will not remove the E2 and as far as I know there is no proven safety issue with these things.     Happy podding.    Tomcamper
Tomcamper
2016 4runner
Dreampod 177

06 GMC Envoy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic