r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emptying H2O heater?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomcamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emptying H2O heater?
    Posted: 24 May 2015 at 10:15am
What is best practice re emptying our water heater after each trip or not? Advantages/disadvantages of yes or no.   Thanks for advice/wisdom on this. Tomcamper
Tomcamper
2016 4runner
Dreampod 177

06 GMC Envoy
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:21pm
No need to empty the water heater at all between your trips.  Ours stays full of water from Spring until Winter.
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 7:07pm
We purchased our 177 in March 2011 and keep our tank filled throughout the camping season w/o emptying until we winterize during the month of October.  Our first element lasted a few seconds since I forgot to open the bypass (my 1st encounter) but since replacing it in May of 2011 we have used that same element w/o replacing.  We use our well water most of the time except for longer trips where we will 'import' water from the national parks where way like to camp for longer periods of time.
God's Pod

'11 model 177

'13 Ford Explorer

Jim & Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 8:41pm
I have found that leaving the water in the water heater will cause smelly water.  You can add a few OZ's of bleach into the water tank or drain it and the water heater.  I usually drain if it's going to be more than a couple of weeks.  I've owned pods for over 5 years. this is my second one.

Lark  R179,(2015)  f-150
Lark
Tomcamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomcamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 8:52am
Good point Lark!   I hesitate emptying because I have previously burnt the element by forgetting the switch. Don't want to go through that again.   Maybe CL. Thanks for sharing your experience. Thom
Tomcamper
2016 4runner
Dreampod 177

06 GMC Envoy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic