r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mods to the r-pod or Storage Tips R-172

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mods to the r-pod or Storage Tips R-172
    Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 2:18pm
First of all I'm not talented like some of you guys (General term no offense to anyone).

Here are the changes I've made so far.
1. Truck cargo netting (36") in back of the sink and along the a side of the cabinet ($6.00 at camping world).  I unscrewed on of the bathroom holders and went to my local hardware and found same size screws and cable holder.  Since I'm trying my best to be green I don't use paper plates,bowls and cups..now they have a easy access spot, plus dish soap and general cleaner won't spill.  There are two cable holders under the dishes you can't see to keep them from falling out the bottom.
2.  Shoes and gloves seem to pile up by the door, so now they have a place.

3.  Parts

4.  Access to the storage area by the sink is 1.5 inches wider then the cushions a really hard to get into.   21" piece of 2X2  2ea  three inches screws and 1ea 2" screw.  (Someone else had a better posting).  Attach the 2x2 to the frame with three in screws, and length wise with the 2" screw from the table side.  THE RE_MEASSURE just in case.  Remove lid and cut 1.5 inches off the end.   You will be able to get access without removing the long back cushion.
5.  Again someone else made a better holder, but I already had the cane ($1.00 at a dollar tree).
FR put an #80 hydraulic lifter on the queen beds for their 5th wheels (check out the web site).  I think I might try that later, but for now the cane works fine.
5.  It's just the two of us and we not thin.  We don't use the bed so I put the large table under the bottom bunk for when we need it and picked up this little LIGHT weight table a campworld $17.00 or 19.00.  Easy to take outside and I can use it wide or long.

That's it so far.. Few more ideas in the works.

Hope this helps someone.
Lee

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 3:08pm
Oooh, good idea on the hydraulic lifter ...

... I feel another project coming on!
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
plantkiller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plantkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 3:35pm
Lee,
Those are some neat storage ideas for the 172.
So your talent is not just limited to doctoring photos but you also got some skillz with the POD?  Smile  
2010 R-POD 172 (version 1.0)
2007 NISSAN FRONTIER SE 4x4 w/ Prodigy P3
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 4:05pm
plantkiller:

Actually, my main love right now in GIS (Geographic Information Systems- Modern Cartography)  So photo doctoring is a minor.    Hopefully I'll have my map of the trip done soon.  I'll be posting a link.

Thanks for the complient.
lee

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Empty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Empty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Butterfly_Lee Butterfly_Lee wrote:

plantkiller:

Actually, my main love right now in GIS (Geographic Information Systems- Modern Cartography)  So photo doctoring is a minor.    Hopefully I'll have my map of the trip done soon.  I'll be posting a link.

Thanks for the complient.
lee

Fellow GIS Geek I salute you.  You wouldn't be a Manifold subversive as well would you?
Mike, Kim and Kane (ARF!)
2010 172
'03 Honda Odyssey
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009 at 5:22am
Those are great additions to the 172.  I've been wanting to use the wasted space at the end of the counter and the net appears to work well.
Todd, Karen & Leah
'13 Surveyor 240
'12 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Former owner of 2010 R-Pod 172
Rpodluvr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rpodluvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2009 at 4:14am
Hi Lee-

Love that table! You mentioned CampWorld. Would you mind telling me where that is, and if they have a web-site? I have been looking around here but am unable to find anything like yours.

(I'm in Halifax, Nova Scotia.)
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2009 at 9:15am
Camping World?  You can find them at http://www.campingworld.com/.  They're a pretty big discount chain in the states.

There isn't really anything comparable here in Canada.  Apart from Canadian Tire and Walmart, I usually head to Princess Auto and TSC (sorry, there isn't one in NS), both of which have occasional sales of RV-related items (like RV extension cords and sewer fitings).  There's also a mail-order Cabela's in Winnipeg where you can find some unique items.  Also, most RV dealerships can source items through the GO-RV Catalog - its definately not cheap to buy things through the catalog, but sometimes its the only way to find specialized RV items.  Finally, there's the road trip - head to the states for a couple night's camping and visit Camping World, Bass Pro Shop and even WalMart (which is quite different there).
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Rpodluvr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rpodluvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2009 at 9:24am
Thanks!

I'll look them up and (hopefully) place an order on-line. If I can't find what I'm looking for, I'll have to make that road trip!   

Pam
David View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2009 at 12:51pm
I like your modifications.  Personally, I don't need extra storage but, I get a lot of enjoyment seeing what everyone is doing.  Ya just got to have a certain amount of admiration for folks who see a need or problem, use a little creativity and come up with solutions that work and look good.  Keep it up!

By the way, how is everyone uploading pictures?  There is a 500KB limit.  All of my pictures are in the 1.6 - 1.7MB range (over 3 times too large).

David RP173
Hope to see you "out there"

David - weird guy with a wolf
Dixie - German Shepherd
RP173 - "Campground Assault Vehicle 1"
2009 Silverado 5.3L V8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic