r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sway bar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sway bar
    Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 11:19pm
Has anyone found the need to attach a sway bar there r pod?
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2014 at 7:52am
I have a Toyota FJ Cruiser, its rated for 5000lb towing. I run with the sway bar at all times. Once while taking pod back to dealers (30 minute drive) on fairly flat roads, I didn't put the sway bar on and I could tell the difference. Not much mind you but I could tell, so if you were on hilly or in windy conditions it would be more pronounced.   My thoughts anyway.   I will always run with sway bar no matter how far I have to go.
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
2012 177.. "EHHH" R Pod" its a canadian thing..
YakDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2014 at 9:16am
I've gone both with and without the sway bar. My personal opinion is that the sway bar is the way to go. Safety is my prime concern and I find that the sway bar works well, especially when fighting the effects of passing 18-wheelers and buses.
YakDriver, Ain't Leo, Chaz and Lil Harry in grrr-Pod

2013 r-Pod 182G Hood River; 2013 Ford F150 STX

YakDriver's Blog
MNpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 8:47pm
I installed a Curt Sway Bar before our trip to Wyoming,  I will not travel without it,  made a big difference in windy conditions and being passed by semis
We pull our 177 with a Jeep LibertySmile
lbergum
rollinstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollinstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 10:23pm
I used to use just the sway bar...and wouldn't consider never using it. Now, however, I upgraded to the Andersen Weight Distribution/Anti-Sway System...big difference. Not every TV needs a WDS, but I found when towing my Pod that too much weight was off the front wheels where you get about 60% of your braking. Rather than hassle with adjusting the load in the trailer and TV every time I went out, it's easier to just take a couple of extra cranks on the WDS to level out the trailer and TV. Not all WDSs work this way, but the Andersen System allows on-the-fly adjustments.

I tow with a '97 Ford Explorer, V8/tow package.
Rollinstone

2014 Draggin'Pod 178

'97 Explorer 5.0L AWD

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic