r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wheel bearing grease

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Road Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wheel bearing grease
    Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 12:05am
We bought a r-pod in May and put 4000 miles on it. I have not touched or greased my wheel bearings yet. I did jack them up and didn't feel any rough movement of wheel.  I also felt the hub after driving a few miles without burning my hand. My question is should I squirt a couple shots into the hub? Without knowing what kind of grease they used when packing them can I just use what I have? What would happen if it is mixed? Thanks for any suggestionsSmile
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Road Warrior Road Warrior wrote:

We bought a r-pod in May and put 4000 miles on it. I have not touched or greased my wheel bearings yet. I did jack them up and didn't feel any rough movement of wheel.  I also felt the hub after driving a few miles without burning my hand. My question is should I squirt a couple shots into the hub? Without knowing what kind of grease they used when packing them can I just use what I have? What would happen if it is mixed? Thanks for any suggestionsSmile

official answer is not to mix grease, unofficially people do that though sometimes.

forest river's maintenance schedule has you checking and repacking your wheels yearly but i know owners who've done nothing to theirs in 4 and 5  years with no issue.  some of us have repacked ours just to be familiar with the process, and still others just jack up their pod a bit, and pump in some new grease while rotating the wheels.

knowing to check the hubs with your hand every now and then while traveling is a good practice to keep.  it will let you know when a problem might be on the horizon for your Pod.
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 3:34pm
Don't use just any grease you have on hand.  Use only wheel bearing grease which is fibrous and more heat-resistant than most other greases.  Personally, I use marine wheel bearing grease, the same that I use on my saltwater boat trailer.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic