r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heater Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danceswithfyre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heater Problems
    Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 5:37pm
Alright, so we bought a 2011 R-Pod 173.  Love it, however having some issues with the heater.

Second time we used it (outside of it becoming a driveway guest house) was last weekend and we decided to fire up the heater for the first time.  Never used it before, but dealership said it worked just fine.  Bought a brand new LP tank and hooked it up same day. 

When we flip the furnace on we hear the fan.  Then we hear the clicking of the pilot light.  Then it keeps going, but no heat comes out.  We played with it for about an hour trying to get it to work.  If you look at it close, when it starts up the pilot light comes on.  But then a few seconds later it starts to flicker and then looks like it is being blown out.  Fan keeps blowing and it starts clicking again 30 seconds later.  Pilot light comes on, and flickers out a few seconds later. 

Now stove will light up with no problems (haven't tried the water heater yet).  And we also noticed if you slightly cover up the intake vent on the outside the pilot light will stay lit and we get heat.  But it isn't making any sense.

Then, got it home parked it in the driveway and I noticed that the furnace won't try to come on at all.  Only difference is that we aren't hooked up to power right now.  Please tell me power is not a requirement for this heater. 

Anything you all have to share would be very helpful.  Thanks!
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 9:02am
Since your furnace hasn't been used in a while, I'd check for spiderwebs or other crud in the gas line. You do need 12V for the furnace to run, but not 110V.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
danceswithfyre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danceswithfyre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 6:54pm
Yeah I kinda wondered about that. 

Funny thing is now the heater won't run off the battery.  It ran plugged in.  But now I am wondering if it has ever run off the battery.... This is frustrating...
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 7:31pm
The heater needs 12v for the fan. If it's working when on shore power, but not when unplugged, you need to trouble shoot your 12v system. Is the battery charged? Cables tight? etc..
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danceswithfyre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 8:29am
Everything else that is hooked up to the battery is working.  The lights, the slide out, etc.  So I know that the battery is charged and everything in that regards is hooked up right...
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 5:15pm
My guess then is that it needs to be reset, that it had/has air in the lines, did it's three tries and locked out. That is what it is designed to do.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danceswithfyre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 10:15am
How do you reset the heater?
rollinstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollinstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 6:36pm
On your FAN-AC-FURNACE wall switch, make sure your FAN is set to AU (Automatic). Then toggle to the FURNACE position and set the thermostat to a temperature higher than the Pod's inside temp. You may have already done this, but thot I'd throw this out there for you if not.
Rollinstone

2014 Draggin'Pod 178

'97 Explorer 5.0L AWD

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic