r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camp ground review and recommendations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Florida

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Florida
    Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 7:49pm
At one point, I had asked for suggestions in this forum for recommended campgrounds in Florida.  I did stay a week at Anastasia State Park at St Augustine and loved it.  See below for a post I put in the owners facebook page:
For the over 55's in our bunch:  In a strand on setting up the dome, it was noted how many singles, esp. females,  are out here rpodding.  I just wanted to be warm this winter so I wanted a month in Florida.  Wasn't into beaches or doing the tourist thing floating from one park to another.  I like tennis so I googled rv park plus tennis and I ended up at Reflections on Silver Lake in Avon Park.  It is an over 55 community, not high end so it's affordable and I can't tell you what a great choice it has been for me.  Safe, clean, loads of activities, two heated pools, two community centers, small dog park, laundromat, 3 bath houses, game room (pool tables) and it goes on.  There are some rv sites amongst the park model dwellings and these are usually used by rvs staying several months although I've seen some here just for a week or a few days.  I have had plenty of people to play tennis, pickleball, and volleyball with and everyone plays to the degree they can.  Everyone is extremely friendly and helpful.  There are loads of people crafting, doing card games, horseshoes and shuffleboard and the facilities are high quality.  So I had asked for suggestions in one of the forums and ended up here and wanted to pass that on.  When I'm ready to settle down to snowbird, I see it being here.
2010 Rp 171
Towed with 2011 Ford Expedition
Co-pilots: Abby & Brownie
"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -- Anon
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2014 at 5:28am
By the time I read your post on Facebook, the thread had taken some turns.

I'm glad you found a place that suits you so well. I found it interesting because we decided to move to Florida and chose one of the 55+ communities for all the reasons you said. For us it will be a permanent move. But we plan use our home as a base to take full advantage of all the wonderful state parks in Florida (and the 65+ resident senior discount).
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2014 at 6:58am
Peggy, another advantage of being a Florida resident is that you don't pay a state income tax.  We live here full time, but many of our neighbors are snowbirds, most from the NE.  Be sure to declare Florida as your principal place of residence and take advantage of our great state tax break.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
IPodAlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2014 at 7:12pm
I am curious. How much time per year do you have to stay in Florida for it to be your home state?
2010 Rp 171
Towed with 2011 Ford Expedition
Co-pilots: Abby & Brownie
"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -- Anon
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2014 at 8:25pm
Here is a brief synopsis of the requirements.

Florida Department of Revenue,
Tax
Information for New Residents,
Page
T
ax
I
nformation
for
New Residents
GT
-
R.
01/13
What you should know about your state tax obligations.
You are considered a Florida resident ...
when your true, fixed, and permanent home and principal establishment is in Florida. Filing a
declara
tion of domicile, qualifying for homestead exemption, or registering to vote in Florida can
establish residency. Other actions, such as obtaining a Florida driver’s license, only indicate an
intent to establish residency
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 7:02am
The state where you're currently a resident may have some rules, too.

For example, when we were transitioning back to FL after living in MN for a few years, we bought a house in FL and continued to travel back-and-forth between MN and FL for a couple of years. MN doesn't really care what you do in another state as far as residency but if you spend 6 months + 1 day of the year in MN, you have to pay MN taxes. All of this is in the MN statutes. There are some exemptions for military and employees of a company on temporary assignment in MN but that's about it. Believe me, we read them all looking for a loophole. There isn't one.

It's not clear to me how the state knows how much time you spend in each state but I suppose they can make a determination from credit card receipts, gas receipts, utility bills, etc.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 7:20am
I don't know what happened to my "cut and paste" of the Florida regulation.  Sorry for its appearance in my post.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 7:34am
I might add that when I moved from Indiana to Florida in 2002 Indiana was silent.  However, in 1967 I moved from Michigan to Ohio to Illiinois, and had to file state tax reports in all three states, based on the portion of my income I earned in each state.  This was before there were reciprocal agreements between the states.

In addition to not having a state sales tax, Florida also has a homestead exemption that saves you considerable on your property tax.  No wonder so many retirees relocate to Florida, establish residency here, but spend summers in there "summer" home up north.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 7:39am
Originally posted by Sleepless Sleepless wrote:

I might add that when I moved from Indiana to Florida in 2002 Indiana was silent.  However, in 1967 I moved from Michigan to Ohio to Illiinois, and had to file state tax reports in all three states, based on the portion of my income I earned in each state.  This was before there were reciprocal agreements between the states.In addition to not having a state sales tax, Florida also has a homestead exemption that saves you considerable on your property tax.  No wonder so many retirees relocate to Florida, establish residency here, but spend summers in there "summer" home up north.

You meant to say, "In addition to not having a state income tax", right?

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 8:19am
You are absolutely right.  I make many errors early in the morning.  Glad you caught this one.  
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic