r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bed lifters/struts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollinstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bed lifters/struts
    Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 1:52am
Has anyone done a mod on their bed/mattress...where you attach gas struts or supports under the mattress plywood base? My water pump is under the mattress and every time I need to get to it to winterize and de-winterize it's a real PITA lifting the mattress out of the way!I kinda know what I need to do, but thot I'd throw it out there to pick a few brains if someone's already done this.

I've got two 20" 100 lb rated gas struts and ball brackets. I plan on attaching the brackets to the plywood base with nuts and bolts thru the plywood from the mattress side...maybe even go thru a metal plate sandwiching the plywood...for greater strength.

I also think the sheet of plywood is going to have to be hinged on the far side against the wall to stabilize the whole affair when I lift the mattress.

Beyond that, any suggestions/improvements?
Rollinstone

2014 Draggin'Pod 178

'97 Explorer 5.0L AWD

Camper Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 8:18am
I think you covered all of the concerns.  Have installed gas struts, replace the base with a thicker 3/4" plywood and hinged the back end.  Lifts like a dream with the eurotop mattress which is quite heavy.  Also put a finger hole near the front edge.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 lb.) Mini Dachshund
2013 Rpod 171HRE (Pods-of-Luck)
2005 Chev. Tahoe
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 8:37am
This is standard from Forest River factory on the 181g's from a few years ago.  Originally had two 80# struts that could not hold the bed.  Replaced with two 100# ones and it does perfectly now.

Old Dingo & Mrs. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Dingo & Mrs. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 9:30am
Travis & Carrie

We too have a 181G, but we have an RV sized regular mattress and it is heavy. What kind of mattress do you have? And where did you buy the 100# struts?

We also have lots of pillows on the bed, turning it into a "pit" couch for our use during the day, which makes the bed weigh about 100 lbs.
So naturally, you are correct the factory provided one strut does not hold up our modified bed.

We added a "prop" to hold the bed up when we need to get under it. But I(Sylvia) can not lift it myself, must call Bob to do it. Which becomes tiresome to both of us. So mostly we unload as much as we can from that area, before we call ourselves ready to camp.

We wonder if two 100# struts do the job for us. That can only be answered by experimentation.
Old Dingo & Mrs. Dingo
(Bob and Sylvia)
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 11:54am
we have our original mattress from forest river with a 4 inch foam piece on top of it, then sheets bedspread probably 4 blankets, decorative pillows and 5 regular bed pillows.

Forest River replaced my old struts for us, the old ones broke.  I mentioned the old ones never lifted the bed anyways and they put 100lb ones on there instead.  
rollinstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollinstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 2:51pm
I bought 20" struts rated at 100# at Camping World. They also had 125# and 150#...plus they have the ball brackets you'll need to attach the struts to.
Rollinstone

2014 Draggin'Pod 178

'97 Explorer 5.0L AWD

HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 2:17pm
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 9:44am
rollinstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollinstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 10:45pm
Update: finished this mod for my small Queen mattress, but the 100# struts were actually too much. Two 100# struts on either end would cause the bed/mattress to pop back up, of all things...unless extra weight was sitting on the bed.

I replaced the two 100#'ers with two 80#'ers...problem solved. Also added a length of 1" nylon webbing strap to the front middle. A light tug on the strap lifts the entire bed so I can easily get at my water shut-off valves for easier winterization.
Rollinstone

2014 Draggin'Pod 178

'97 Explorer 5.0L AWD

kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 9:15am
Originally posted by rollinstone rollinstone wrote:

Update: finished this mod for my small Queen mattress, but the 100# struts were actually too much. Two 100# struts on either end would cause the bed/mattress to pop back up, of all things...unless extra weight was sitting on the bed.

I replaced the two 100#'ers with two 80#'ers...problem solved. Also added a length of 1" nylon webbing strap to the front middle. A light tug on the strap lifts the entire bed so I can easily get at my water shut-off valves for easier winterization.

Good job!  See on ours it was the opposite, 2 80# struts came from factory on our bed but would never lift it at all, let alone keep it open for us.  Took 2 100# in our case!

Like the idea of the strap too!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic