r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PILOTing the RP-178

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CO_PILOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PILOTing the RP-178
    Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 12:22pm

In September we bought a 2014 RP-178 from the Shober brothers at Bison RV in Clovis NM.  Great guys, at a great group to deal with.  Highly recommended:

http://www.bisonrv.com/Default.asp 

We have a 2012 Honda Pilot for our tow vehicle.  4WD, 3.5L V-6 (250 hp), with 5-sp OD tranny.  It came with the factory transmission oil cooler, 7-pin hitch connector, and 2" hitch receiver. Honda rates it with an ample 4,500 lbs GVWR tow capacity.

Until we found the R-Pod line, GVRW of other travel trailers (even the so-called "ultra-lite" ones) ended up at the too-high - or over - end of our Pilot's tow rating.  Even fully loaded with water and our [too much] stuff, I am confident that the RP-178 is no more than 3,500 lbs.

Bison RV installed a Prodigy 2 in the Pilot to control the electric brakes on the RP-178.  These worked beautifully and transparently ove our 1,500 mile first outing.

I was concerned that the Pilot/RP178 combo might need a Load Leveling Hitch and/or an Anti-Sway Bar to achieve level and stable performance at highway speeds.  No reason to worry as we discovered.

You can see from the picture below that the pair stands absolutely level using a 3 1/2" drop hitch insert:

HondaPilot_RP-178_combo

We towed at 75 mph for 5-10 miles and there was no hint of sway.  Sometimes wind gusts would blow the 'Pod to the side, but it always quickly came back in line without any hint of wanting to oscillate.

The Pilot usually gets 22 mpg in town.  Pretty good for a 4,500 lb 4WD SUV.

Pulling our little 'Pod, it fell to only 10 mpg -  into the wind and over mountain passes.

Provided we pulled the 'Pod at 60 mph or less, and on level ground, the Pilot gave 13-15 mpg. Uphill, even 2-3% grades, we had to lock it in 3rd gear to to keep the tranny from hunting among the gears.  3rd gear at 60 mph with the Pilot is about 4,000 rpm.  75 mph in 3rd is 5,300 rpm. Redline is 6,300 rpm.

Acceleration ability of the Pilot/Pod combo was basically that of a loaded school bus. Slow but steady.  Ride was very stable and there was no doubt that the Honda Pilot was very much in control of the whole rig the whole time.  Highly recommended.

Overall we were quite pleased.  The slide on the RP-178 provided an amazing improvement to the living space within.  I can not imagine RVing in a Pod without one.

furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 1:56pm
Welcome.

Glad it's pulling good for you and your trips have been good. A friend of mine has a newer Pilot, and has been wanting to hear if people are happy pulling with them..
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 3:38pm
Welcome.
I don't want to be a downer but.
To use or not to use a WDH or sway control is up to each individual, but when it comes to your estimated weight fully loaded with water, I think you are way out in left field.
RP 178 dry weight 2535#
Options:
Rdome 20#
Conv. microwave 51#
AC 95#
Risers 20#
19" TV Am FM combo 22#
2 batteries 140#
2 2o# LP tanks 75#
One driver one passenger 300#
Full load of water 300#

Total: 3558# and you have not yet put anything else in the trailer.    
If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Marwayne Marwayne wrote:

Welcome.
I don't want to be a downer but.
To use or not to use a WDH or sway control is up to each individual, but when it comes to your estimated weight fully loaded with water, I think you are way out in left field.
RP 178 dry weight 2535#
Options:
Rdome 20#
Conv. microwave 51#
AC 95#
Risers 20#
19" TV Am FM combo 22#
2 batteries 140#
2 2o# LP tanks 75#
One driver one passenger 300#
Full load of water 300#

Total: 3558# and you have not yet put anything else in the trailer.    

Are you saying that all of those items are always dealer-installed options and not installed at the factory? I thought the units came out of the factory with 1 battery, and 1 empty LP tank as standard equipment and that the AC and microwave came from the factory if you ordered your rpod with those options. And, in our case, I know for a fact our risers were put on at the factory when our rpod was built.

So shouldn't the weight listed on the label on the front left of the rpod be the total weight of that particular unit (including all factory-installed items and options) when it left the factory?

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 6:30pm
When I bought my pod my dealer told me take the dry weight and add 150 to 300# depending on your options. There was a post a long time ago where somebody bought a 172, picked it up from the dealer went to a weigh scale, he claimed that the trailer weight 460# more than the sticker on the trailer.
If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 7:10pm
I will state that I think the weights given in the brochure for "options" may be a bit high.. I have had risers in my hand, 6-7 pounds at the most, my microwave has been out, it's a bit lighter than listed.. I have moved the combo TV radio thing a couple times, no way it's 22 pounds... also looks like the OP is single propane tank and battery..

But the ONLY way to make sure is to weigh it on your next outing..

I attempted to do my tongue weight today... guess I will be getting an actual tongue weight scale soon.. and we may replace the now nonfunctional bathroom scale eventually. The weight had not climbed very high.. when the cheapo 30 year old scale top bent down under the pressure point and jammed the "innards".... lol
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
bubink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 7:26pm
Question though. The "towing capacity" of the Honda Pilot 4WD is 4500 pounds. States that on their website and in their brochure. Isn't this a moot point? Or am I wrong?
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 11:55pm
The concern expressed above is that fully loaded with gear you are much closer to your max towing capacity than you might think. Everyone has their own comfort level with the towing capabilities of their TV. Welcome to the forum. and enjoy
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
Ncogneeedo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ncogneeedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 10:45pm
We took our first trip in 2015 R-Pod 178.  We have a Ford Flex, capacity 4500 lbs.  We went thru a mountain pass got about 10 mpg too.  We had a sway bar.  On the way home it was raining and had a little problem with it swaying. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic