r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hot water heater and LP gas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 11:06pm
Please note... water coming from your hot water tap MAY mean your WH is full.

BUT.. if it has been winterized, and the valves are set to "bypass" you WILL get water out of the hot side with an empty HW tank. That is how MOST elements die.

Was just talking to a tech Wednesday about that as he was conducting my sister's walk through for her new 177, and he said right after memorial day they sell and or replace dozens every year.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
On Golden Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote On Golden Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 6:00am
Thanks for all the help everyone! So when I make sure the valves are set right the hot and cold vales should be running parallel with the pipes (open) and the smaller bypass valve should be perpendicular (closed) is that correct?
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 8:19am
Originally posted by furpod furpod wrote:

BUT.. if it has been winterized, and the valves are set to "bypass" you WILL get water out of the hot side with an empty HW tank. That is how MOST elements die.

Was just talking to a tech Wednesday about that as he was conducting my sister's walk through for her new 177, and he said right after memorial day they sell and or replace dozens every year.

Good point.  Even after 40+ years of RVing, that is something even I might not remember.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 8:34am

Must be nice to know you'll get that same business every season.  Nice reliable job to have, at least during the warm months.
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 8:53am
Originally posted by kymooses kymooses wrote:

Must be nice to know you'll get that same business every season.  Nice reliable job to have, at least during the warm months.

Don't think they really try for it so to speak, he went as far as to show her where the valves were, and I don't mean point and say "under there".. he opened the compartment, showed her the valves, turned them and set them for both positions.. That is how they did our walk through .. so at least at the dealership, they are trying to have informed owners.. nothing they can do to help people that don't do it right..
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 8:56am
Originally posted by On Golden Pod On Golden Pod wrote:

Thanks for all the help everyone! So when I make sure the valves are set right the hot and cold vales should be running parallel with the pipes (open) and the smaller bypass valve should be perpendicular (closed) is that correct?

That is correct for "use"

Then to winterize, you just do the opposite.

Then drain the WH.

BTW, you can winterize with the valves in the "use" position.. just takes about 8 gallons of anti freeze.. that is the purpose of the valves, so you don't have to fill the WH with anti freeze. I winterize on just over 1 gallon..
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 9:08am
Since so many folks have trouble with the winterizing/dewinterizing issue, it would be nice if FR and other manufacturers would put instructions with visual aids in the compartment where the valves are located.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 12:23pm
We spent most of our lives in the Midwest and I can't count the times we went through the winterizing process.  The first few times we used the traditional method of winterizing with RV anti-freeze.  Then I learned that most of the dealers and RV owners were beginning to drain their tank, lines and heater, and then used air to blow out any water remaining in low spots in the plumbing, including the water heater.  The final step was to pour a small amount of anti-freeze into the sinks and shower to keep the traps from freezing.  We never had a problem with the "blow out" method and used only about 1/2 gallon of anti-freeze even in our motor homes. 

All you need is a cap with a Shrader valve that you position in place of the cap over the hose connector on the trailer and an air compressor.  Probably less than $5.00 at most RV parts store or Walmart.

Up north, this is the very same method we used to winterize our underground lawn sprinkler systems, although most people paid a contractor to do it for them.  Another simple DIY project that only takes minutes.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Ratdog Ratdog wrote:

Since so many folks have trouble with the winterizing/dewinterizing issue, it would be nice if FR and other manufacturers would put instructions with visual aids in the compartment where the valves are located.

-- Steve

Aye there is a warning sticker for most everything else in the Pod.  Would be a nice idea to have a few stickers or something slapped on the wall where the water heater is.  A picture alone would be fine for most owners!

Smart idea!
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by kymooses kymooses wrote:

Aye there is a warning sticker for most everything else in the Pod.  Would be a nice idea to have a few stickers or something slapped on the wall where the water heater is.  A picture alone would be fine for most owners!

Smart idea!

All of those warning stickers are CYA safety stuff designed to prevent putting FR in the middle of a lawsuit. Some really aren't even that helpful. My favorite is the escape window. When we were doing the walk through of our new 177 at the dealership, I asked the salesman if that was some kind of joke. I mean, really, are they kidding? I can see the headlines now if my rpod catches on fire:

"LOCAL ELDERLY GENTLEMAN CAUGHT HALF WAY OUT OF ESCAPE WINDOW AS HIS SMALL TEARDROP-TYPE TRAVEL TRAILER IS CONSUMED IN FLAMES".

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic