r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horrible Odor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horrible Odor
    Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 10:10pm
We are on our first trip with our brand new 172.  We've been in an RV park with full hookups, so theoretically, nothing is in our black tank.  We use little paper, lots of water and do a black tank flush regularly.  We are experienced RVers and usually know how to handle the tanks.

We have done the "bring the hose in and run lots of water down the toilet" routine with the black tank closed, then open it and really flush it out.  There are no clogs now - water runs freely into the sewer.

However, we are still getting a terrible "black tank" odor. 

We have noticed that the bottom of the black tank is not flat - it sort of sags in the middle.

Any ideas of what to do?  

Thanks,

Joyce

Joyce, Kevin and the Esca-Pod
2010 Toyota 4-Runner
   Sometimes with
2014 Redwood 5th Wheel
2011 F450 Dually
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 10:55pm
I did not hear anything about you using black water chemicals in the tank.  Assuming you are not, always use it.

At the campground, keep the black water tank valve closed until time to empty it. 

Sounds like you are already flushing the tank regularly.  I use the "Hydro-Flush" which is available from Camping World, Walmart, etc.  It really blasts water into the black water tank.

Nothing is wrong with your tank.  The pod tanks are all built with a sag to promote better drainage and ease of flushing.

The only source of odor that I can think of is lack of chemicals, or an inadequate amount of them.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 5:16am
Are you using your shower? If not, pour some water down it to fill the trap. Vapors can come up through the sewer hose and into the pod if the trap is dry.

I haven't heard of it on the pods, but some owners of other RVs have had problems with toilets or vents not being seated correctly, causing odors. If the problem persists, you may have to take it to a dealer.
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 7:37am
I agree with Bob and PeggyL. If you're not using chemicals in your black water tank, start using them. If you're already using them, then your system may have a venting problem of some sort. Add water to the shower drain like Peggy says. Also make sure the slide valve closes all the way when you flush. Make sure both outside dump valves are fully closed.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 10:36am
I'll mention this because it happened to us this season.  This will sound weird, but smell your shower hose.

I know, crazy.  We've had some pretty bad what I thought were black tank odors.  I cleaned our tank immensely knowing it would eventually be so clean it could pass for new.  Still the smell persisted.

One weekend while showering and hosing off I had the hose close to my nose.  It smelled just like the smell that was there before.  That hose just stinks sometimes.  The ugly plastic/rubber hose itself just smells like poo!

We've yet to replace it because now that I know it's the hose it bothers me less.

This is probably not your problem thought, but even if there's a slight chance, sniff that shower hose and see if that's not your culprit.

MandB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MandB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 11:38am
Do you leave your gray water valve open while camped? I used to do that and sewer gasses would work their way back up and fill the trailer with stink. Now we just just empty the tank once or twice a day. The odor has never reoccurred. I know our shower trap had water in it, but somehow the gasses made their way up through it or the kitchen sink. I don't quite understand how this happens. Gray water doesn't usually smell that bad and the gasses would have to go up the hose, bubble up through the gray water in the tank and then make it through any traps filled with water. It all seems unlikely, but I can assure you it made a huge difference. Under any circumstances, never leave the black water valve open except when dumping a hopefully close to full tank.  You do not want to regularly dump; the black water tank. It is better to let it get as full as possible before dumping. You want as much pressure as possible when pulling that valve open. Otherwise something may get stuck in the gate and I can assure you, that is a 0 on the fun-meter. 

Also, never leave the bathroom fan on when flushing the toilet. You will suck in a ton of odors most people don't enjoy. 
XPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 6:29am
Check if it's coming from under the stove. My Pods propane regulator under the stove went bad and was leaking propane. I thought the same thing, it smelled like "black tank" smell, but it was propane. My dealer replaced mine under warrenty and fixed it :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic