r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Remove anti-sway bars before backing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallystirring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remove anti-sway bars before backing?
    Posted: 19 May 2013 at 1:34pm
Good morning, all! This is our third year of r-pod ownership, and we are still coming up with questions!! :) I read somewhere that you should remove the anti-sway bars before backing your trailer into a camping space (or, presumably, anywhere else). Really? 

We are discovering that the dealership where we bought the Peapod didn't give us several bits of vital information, such as "make sure that your break-away brakes thingy is plugged in before driving around" (which resulted in us needing new brakes), but I digress... 

Anyway, we were never told to remove the anti-sway bars before backing, but it sorta makes sense to do so. Getting ready to start out on our second major camping trip soon, and any helpful information is always appreciated! My husband leaves all of the r-pod stuff to me, because he's a backpacker at heart and is humoring me with the whole "sleeping inside with a bathroom" thing! Wink Gotta love the guy!

Thanks a lot for any and all information!
Connie, David, and the Peapod
Rpod 177 owners since 2011
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 1:52pm
Are you talking about the antisway "spring bars" that an integral part of the weight distributing hitch system or the "blade" type anti sway devices that you tighten by hand?

If you're talking about the former, there's no reason to remove them before backing up. We've used that system on our travel trailers for over 20 years and have never removed them before backing up.

If you're talking about the blade type friction bars, I can't help you since I've never used one of those.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 4:02pm
Here are my two cents (this will be my fourth year), I have the EZ-2 anit-way wdh.  When it's a nice easy back up (more than 45 degree corner) with plenty of room, no pot holes then no I don't remove.

If the space is tight, pot holed, and you have to jack knife to get into the spot YES.   

I didn't learn this until my second year (of frustration), thinking I just was a bad backer upper.  One day someone was watching me back up and mentioned that my hitch was making A LOT of Noise.  I got to thinking well of course it is, it's trying to keep me straight.   
The next time I had to get into the same spot I took the bars off, and guess what backed right into the spot first time with not a lot of correction.

So now if the Site is iffy, I'll take of the bars,  (takes couple of minutes) and then back up with ease (and no noise).

Again my two cents.
LeeStar

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 4:14pm
We only have the blade type friction sway bar. We always take it off when backing up. Only takes a second or two, and if its always the habit you don't run into any trouble if you don't take it off and you should have.   My two cents worth.. oh forgot we don't have the penny anymore up here.. so I guess its my 5 cents worth...
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
2012 177.. "EHHH" R Pod" its a canadian thing..
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 10:39am
I have an E2 and have never taken mine off.
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 11:16am
I should have mentioned that I'm also using an E2.

With an E2, you do not have to remove them when backing up:

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Tomcamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomcamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 6:34pm
I also have the E2. Like someone else said if it is a tight turn it will put stresses on bars and you can hear them. Once in two years I took them off in backing. I also have to admit I'm not very good at backing up. Tomcamper
Tomcamper
2016 4runner
Dreampod 177

06 GMC Envoy
rollinstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollinstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 12:08am
Yep...got the E2 also and during my walk around my shop guy made a special point of telling me to remove the bar before backing. That said, he proceeded to back the trailer into the shop bay without removing it. When I asked him about it he simply said it was a straight backup on a smooth surface with no turning...and a short distance besides.

But, he says, lots of times you might be on unimproved pavement, backing on a slight slope, or potholes or sharp turns...you just really never know unless you've done a very through recon of your backup path...easiest thing to do is remove the device...YMMV
Rollinstone

2014 Draggin'Pod 178

'97 Explorer 5.0L AWD

kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 10:41am
I've backed mine up a hill to a campsite, had my camper at a full 90 degree from my TV and never removed my E2 bars.

Never had any issues or damage.

Love it, Pod is much easier to back with them on also!
rollinstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollinstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 12:44pm
Like I say...YMMV...with my luck that thing would snap and destroy my whole hitch setup...and I'm good at following orders...Smile
Rollinstone

2014 Draggin'Pod 178

'97 Explorer 5.0L AWD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic