r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conversion to Golf Cart Bartteries

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conversion to Golf Cart Bartteries
    Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 5:00pm
For those who have asked the question in the past, yes this can be done. I finished the project last night.

I replaced the battery box with one sized specifically for golf cart batteries (which are taller than 24 or 27 size batteries. http://www.allbatterysalesandservice.com/browse.cfm/4,576.html

The box dropped right into the battery area between the welded angles without modification. I did need to rerout the propane line which ran around the side of the batter to under the battery box (took 2 minutes).

Costco had batteries in stock, with date of manufacture label on the top to ensure I had date matched batteries that would perform well together.

I bought a foot of #4 stranded copper wire at Lowes and some wire connectors to connect the batteries in series.

Done.

I'll report back with capacity/performance results after our next two outings.

Next is wiring in the 55W solar and charge controller panel I just got.

Happy trails,

Jim

Jim & Carmen - San Jose, CA
r-pod 177 and V-6 Highlander
anchor out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anchor out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 9:39pm
I ued to live on a sailboat in the Caribbean. I started out with 2 4D batteries. I later swapped both for golf cart batteries.and never looked back. It was THE way to go. Congratulations!
K_Mac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K_Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 8:03pm
After freezing our butts off in Rocky Mountain National Park (battery died running fan in heater in the middle of the night), I upgraded to 2 golf cart batteries in series.  Awesome!  I need to dry camp again next year for a week to test the limits because in 3 days we still had a lot of juice.  I bought a multimeter to monitor the voltage next time.

I'm also thinking of getting a solar panel - tell us how it turns out and don't forget some pictures!
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 9:56pm
Yep.. very interested in the solar hookup and capabilities.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Alex&Marie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex&Marie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 2:45am
I'll echo anchor-out's comment. We lived aboard a sailboat for 4 years and had great luck with golf cart batteries. they have lots of capacity and worked well with both solar panels and wind generator. and they are reasonably easy to find and economical.

good luck. please keep the group updated. 
Alex and Marie
2012 R-pod 177, 2006 Toyota Tundra
headcold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote headcold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 3:16pm
Judging from the foregoing conversation, I assume we are talking about 2 golf cart batteries.  Am I correct?  Second, it would be great if someone could post a picture showing the wiring and modifications that are necessary.  I know how the difference between parallel and series .... but, just in case ...
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 4:18pm
These are 2 - 6 volt batteries hooked up in series, pos to neg, the trailer harness goes on the other 2 poles.

If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre
headcold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote headcold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 7:08pm
As usual, Marywaybe, you've been very helpful.  Thanks
headcold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote headcold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 7:09pm
By the way, Marwayne, did you find that you get an appreciable more time between charges with the golf cart batteries than with the standard 12 volts?
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 8:23pm
I would't know mine are not golfcart battries.
Wow, I guess you just gave me a new name.
If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic