r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exterior Protectant Coating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catspaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exterior Protectant Coating
    Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 12:58pm
Hi everyone!  We are just in the process of purchasing an R-Pod 177 and becoming brand new members of the R-Pod Nation.  We are wondering about whether or not it is worth it to have the exterior protective coating put on our R-Pod.  Have people not gotten the coating and wished they had?  Do those of you with the coating think it makes a positve difference?  Thank you for your feedback.
Jon and Pam Melander
Spicer Mn
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racer|X| Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 7:53pm
Did you buy yours from Jerry Lundegaard?  Not sure what "protective coating" you are referring to, I would recommend a good waxing.

ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 8:38pm
I believe cat is referring to the "gel coating" on the trailer. Our trailer had the gel coating on the trailer, and it does seem to make it easier to wash/wax the pod.
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
2012 177.. "EHHH" R Pod" its a canadian thing..
BSAJim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2012 at 9:40am
Racer[x] - too funny - I wonder how many will get the Fargo reference.

As far as the dealer applied protective coating, this is something you will need to decide based on cost/effort.

For $20, you can get the same treatment in a spray bottle from Camping World. The dealer is going to charge you for application and a huge profit markup. You have to decide if the cost is worth the effort required to apply the coating yourself.

I found it to be really easy, and based upon reports from others, important to ensure your decals remain in good shape.

Happy Trails!

Jim & Carmen
Jim & Carmen - San Jose, CA
r-pod 177 and V-6 Highlander
brownd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2012 at 10:37am
< id="_npwlo" ="applicationpwlo" height="0">Jim,

What is the name of the protective coating you can get from camping world?

Thanks
Dave
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2012 at 10:41am
Gel coat is the finish on the exterior fiberglass panels, just like all fiberglass boats. It's part of the manufacturing process, the visible part of the fiberglass composite panels that form the sides and roof of the rPod. It makes the surface smooth and is tinted while still liquid to provide the rPod's color. The pods are not painted. 

Gel coat is not an aftermarket item that can be applied by the dealer. It wouldn't surprise me to hear your dealer offer to "gel coat" the pod, though. I've never heard more misinformation than I have from snake oil RV salesmen.

All you need is a periodic wax job. Meguiar's waxes are generally considered to be the best by car dudes. They make paste and spray waxes.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
Seanl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2012 at 10:57am
The only reason you even need wax on a fiberglass gel coat finish is to provide UV protection. Anyone who ever had a fiberglass boat for a while knows how the the gel coat finish oxidizes on the top side when the sun gets to it. Wax will prevent this. Other than that Gel Coat is just about indestructible.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition

Camper Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2012 at 11:49am
Glad you set us all straight.  I was going to comment but I wasn't sure.  Some of these salesmen graduated from the car salesman school that used to push undercoating, years ago, until the manufacturers did it at the factory.  Pass on the gelcoat, as its already on.  Waxing seems the best idea and Megiuirs seems to be the wax of choice.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 lb.) Mini Dachshund
2013 Rpod 171HRE (Pods-of-Luck)
2005 Chev. Tahoe
catspaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catspaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2012 at 12:23pm
Thanks, everyone, for your input.  Nice to know we can put a question out there and get some feedback.  And, no, we didn't buy our R-Pod from Jerry Lundegaard but from a very nice grandmother of fiour. Thumbs Up
Catspaw
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racer|X| Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2012 at 8:50pm
Sorry to pick on Jerry...but love Fargo.  Thanks for catching that one BSA.

Like I said...wax away and you are gel coated.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic