r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vertical Slider in Pod Door

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anchor out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 9:46pm
I love it. This will be my next project.
JJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 8:42pm
We just added one of those windows to our 172 - what a difference!

Thank you HuronSailor for the info.

Joyce
Joyce, Kevin and the Esca-Pod
2010 Toyota 4-Runner
   Sometimes with
2014 Redwood 5th Wheel
2011 F450 Dually
SteveC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 6:37pm
This is  great forum!  Very nice job on the window install and post showing us your Mod! 
2014 R Pod 178
RRL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 5:05pm
We will be doing this mod on our door this week (window comes tomorrow :).  Do you cut the hole out from the inside or outside of door?

Appreciate any and all suggestions!
"unWINEd" Pod
2014 RP 178
2006 Tundra
Tomcamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomcamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 12:42pm
Have the window and will install in a few weeks but am wondering how necessary it is to remove to remove the door from the hinges. What am I missing??   Thanks.
Tomcamper
2016 4runner
Dreampod 177

06 GMC Envoy
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 8:10am
A lot of owners cut the hole with the door still attached to the Pod just fine, just makes for some more cleanup.
Tomcamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomcamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 9:17am
Thanks to Kymooses and Huron Sailor for responding. I will install with door attached and save some time. A great mod and window will improve air flow and light.
Tomcamper
2016 4runner
Dreampod 177

06 GMC Envoy
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 10:22am
I did mine with the door on. No problem.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
T0DD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T0DD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 1:17pm
I just wanted to take a moment to resurrect this thread. Special thanks to HuronSailer for posting such a great DIY. I ordered from Frank Bear by shooting him an email @ frankbear007@gmail.com . Prices have gone up a touch since 2012 when the original post was submitted. I paid about $138 shipped from Michigan to Washington state. 

Some things I'd like to note. I also used an upward toothed jig saw blade and cut from the "inside" of the door. I used a fine 24 toothed metal jigsaw blade. I never found that specific information previously, so I wanted to mention it. The 24 toothed metal jigsaw blade worked great for me. I also used blue painters tape on both sides as a little insurance in attempt to prevent chipping and had no chipping issues at all. I took the door completely off. If you have 2 people available I would HIGHLY suggest removing door. It's super light (I don't know the exact weight, but I'm guessing 10-15 lbs) and 2 people can remove it with ease. My wife used the dewalt on the door screws and I balanced the door. Others have said that they have completed this project with the door still attached. Let me state again, it's super easy to remove the door, it literally takes about 2 minutes to take it off and put it back on with a power screw driver. I highly recommend putting the door on some saw horses and completing this project. Lastly, I wanted to mention that if you purchase this exact window that when you are putting the back aluminum trim ring on that the screws actually screw into a "channel" (two raised pieced of metal) that run around the edge of the window. I looked it it several times and was uncertain where I would screw these screws in but ultimately, it went into a channel and worked out perfectly. 

The inner trim ring comes in unfinished aluminum. I had a can of black gloss epoxy paint and in one hour I sprayed it with 3 coats and it turned out perfect. I also took the screws that came with it and stuck them all slightly into a piece of cardboard and coated them with 3 coats of paint. 

I think it's important to share pictures and experiences. Without them, I wouldn't be motivated to complete wonderful upgrades to my RPod. Hopefully these pictures motivate someone else. So again, thank you to HuronSalier. Here is my 2016 RPod 179 Hood River Edition with the 14x21 vertical slider window installed. 

If you have any questions feel free to reply or contact me. I'll be more than happy to help where I can. 

HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 7:05pm
You're welcome. Your window looks great. 

Our 172 is much less claustrophobic with that window in the door.

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic