r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Propane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaRedneck81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 12:22pm
The reason not to fill the tank to the top is not for safety...it is to allow enough room for the liquid to boil off and turn to gas; so you can use it.
GaRedneck81
U.S.Navy-Retired
Heavy Chevy 5.7 liter
RP-172
Kennesaw, Ga.
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 12:28pm
Federal Law mandates the use of OPD valves on all portable propane tanks!  Tanks that are installed as part of an RV chassis do not have to have OPD valves.  Propane dealers are NOT supposed to fill the older valved tanks. You can bring in an older tank and see if a local propane dealer would be willing to replace the older valve with the newer OPD.  However, as mentioned by another member, propane tanks have to be inspected every few years...you wouldn't want it to rupture because of corrosion or other damage.  The 85% fill level is built-in to allow expansion of the propane as it warms up in the tank.  You do not need to flare out any more of the gas to provide additional expansion.
Here in the Midwest, portable propane tanks are usually set on a weight scale as the tank is being filled.  So rather than gallonage, the fill is registered as 20 lbs, 30 lbs, etc. Most refill stations charge for a complete fill.  That is, if my 20 lb tank is half full, I still get charged for the '20 lb' fill...I guess this because the attendant still has to work with the tank, regardless how much propane is in the tank to begin with.
On my RV, which has a built-in propane tank...the fill station registers the gallonage of the fill.  So the cost is usually more accurate than when I fill a portable tank.  Because of this, I installed dual tanks on my Pod, with an automatic change-over valve.  I don't bring in the tank until it is completely empty.
The weight of the empty tank should be stamped on the tank.  You can set it on a bathroom scale to see how much propane remains in a partially filled tank.  Remember that a 'full' 20 lb tank should weigh only 17lbs more than the empty weight because of the 85% fill control.
tsunami
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic