r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie needs tow advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie needs tow advice
    Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 2:42pm

I'd read through these forums enough to know before I bought the RPod that there'd probably be issues with using a V6 3.3L Highlander with a tow package (i.e. has transmission cooler too) as a TV but decided to see if I love Podding enough to change vehicles.  It is rated at 3500 lbs towing and I'll be diligent about never having more than 2800-2900 lbs.  So here goes with all of the questions. 

A Highlander is built on a car chassis.  It is a unibody vehicle.  I know I saw this in the owner's manual (how would I know that otherwise?) and can no longer find it (even the Toyota dealership can't find it).  Because of that, it is not recommended to use (and here I can't remember which....) a WDH or sway bars or both.....Toyota really doesn't want to give out tow advice because they don't advocate using these to tow much weight.  However, one guy there who RVs explained why sway bars would be a bad idea on a unibody frame and it made sense.  But my fear, of course, is the high profile of the Pod and possible sway.  It seems that everyone in this forum references how much safer and better driving it is with the bars.  The person I bought the Pod from gave me the hitch and sway bars so I put them on but left them "loose" hoping they'd help me in an emergency (big sway) but not affect the TV performance during "regular" driving.  So I drove to the campground with them loose and drove home with a bit of tension on them.  I think the latter might have be the worse of those two.  No idea if the former helped; haven't tried without them at all. 

I also note that sway bars are recommended if you're towing more than 50% of your vehicle wt.  My vehicle is 5350 lbs. so I'm right in the range to be a bit below or above that 50%. 

So I'm just not sure the best route to go on this issue and would love input.
marc515 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marc515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 3:31pm
One thing I remember reading is that the MFR towing capability is based on a 150Lb driver, and any additional passengers and cargo will in effect lower the towing capability. There are many folk who are towing with vehicles that have a 3,500 towing capability, but in my umble opinion that is pushing the limit and is a safety concern.

In addition to this excellent site, there is a wealth of knowledge over on the RV Net towing forum: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/41.cfm

There are also towing calculators out there that can help such as: http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml

When faced with getting a tow vehicle for our MPG (similar to the Rpod), we decided that nothing less than a 5,000Lb tow capability would do the job, and ended up with  Nissan Pathfinder which has a 6,000 tow capability.
Best Regards,.....Marc & Joan
And....Tucker (our yellow lab)
2011 Heartland MPG-181
2011 Nissan Pathfinder
USMC 69-73
God Bless all our Men & Women in Uniform
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 3:45pm
Abby,
First off welcome to the farm..You will find everyone very helpful here.

As far as the WDH goes ,more information would help out,such as make and model of hitch system.
Have you gone to the manufactures(WDH)web site to see if there are set up instructions for your hitch?

Try there recommended set up and see if that works any better.  With a WDH you will have to do some trial and error to find the set up that works best for your load(TV/Trailer).  If that set up does not work post what you did here and I am sure some member with more experience with these matters will chime in.
Hope this helps.
WWR 
WWRon,2012 RP177 HRE "Eye Pod",2010 Ford F-150 4x4
9/11 Never Forget.
NRA Life Member, Amsoil dealer www.lubedealer.com/wallawallaron
Abby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 4:17pm

I totally agree with you on needing a larger vehicle to tow basically anything over 1500 pounds.  On the wt. limits for the Highlander, I weigh less than 150 and will have 2 dogs with me plus lighter general items.  My thing now is that I will only have one vehicle so I want to keep the smaller one which has better gas mileage for daily driving.  I want to keep the Highlander until I know that I like to use the Pod a lot.  (At that point, I'll be asking everyone's opinion on the best one to go with for the price.)  I have been checking out some links on towing.  Not sure if I've used the ones you listed so will look through those (thanks!).  My question now is whether anyone else using a TV that's on a car chassis is using the sway bars.  I want to be as safe as I can as I'm experimenting with whether I'll use the Pod a lot and therefore, "trade up" to a bigger vehicle. It didn't drive terribly; of course, I didn't go over 50 mph either!  :)

Abby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 4:20pm
Duh!  I kept wondering where I could get info. on that specific hitch system and never thought about the website.  Sometimes we get so caught up in all of the details, the most obvious stuff eludes us and certainly that's the case here.  Thanks for the suggestion!
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 11:05pm
If you're really worried, then you may think about this tow vehicle.

With a weight distributing hitch and keeping the POD under 3K in weight, you should be fine.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
Billy Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 11:16pm
We had a MPG 186, which we traded in on a Gulfstream Visa. Towed with a Nissan Frontier, now using a Titan. Our problem is, when paying for all these toys, it's hard to take time off to use them.

When faced with getting a tow vehicle for our MPG (similar to the Rpod), we decided that nothing less than a 5,000Lb tow capability would do the job, and ended up with  Nissan Pathfinder which has a 6,000 tow capability.
[/QUOTE]
2011 Visa 23RBK pulled with 2010 Nissan Titan. 12.5 MPG when towing.
The Most Beautiful Thing In Life Is The Ability To love.
www.BillyAdeliza.homestead.com
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 7:50am
Kenn,

Is that little map you're using down in your sig line available online?

Thanks,
-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 7:50am
 The new Highlanders have a tow rating of 5,000 lbs, I wonder if the frame has been changed in design from the model Highlander that you have they may be the same with only a difference in horsepower. When we towed with a Saturn Vue we used only a sway bar and it towed fine. The Saturn Vue may have of had a lighter frame construction than the Highlander. What I liked about the Saturn Vue it had the electric assist steering it was very responsive which gave better control if there was any sway. The Jeep liberty has hydrolic steering it doesn't feel as tight or as responsive.         David
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Ratdog Ratdog wrote:

Kenn,

Is that little map you're using down in your sig line available online?

Thanks,
-- Steve

Have fun. Smile

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic