r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Detachable Stabalizer Jacks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomcamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 3:30pm
To further Anchorout, try googling 'saveajack' which allows sliding jacks quickly and easily. We wrecked our stabilizers in mountains last coming out of gas stations.
Tomcamper
2016 4runner
Dreampod 177

06 GMC Envoy
TopJimmy5150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TopJimmy5150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 9:48am
The R-Dome looks ridiculous on a 178 with the axle risers.  The whole thing looks like it's about to collapse forward. 
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 10:53am
Originally posted by TopJimmy5150 TopJimmy5150 wrote:

The R-Dome looks ridiculous on a 178 with the axle risers.  The whole thing looks like it's about to collapse forward. 

Interesting. We have a 177 with axle risers and the R-Dome doesn't look ridiculous on it.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Seanl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by TopJimmy5150 TopJimmy5150 wrote:

Depends on how level the site you are parked on is. This picture was taken with the risers.

And so was this one.

As you can see the second one appears to have more slope that the first because in the first the ground slopes back towards the trailer and and in the second it is level.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition

TopJimmy5150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TopJimmy5150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 11:54am

On ours, the tenting barely reaches the ground on the side that is closest to the Rpod and the front is tilted forward to an extreme degree.  The whole thing feels like a tunnel coming off the 178.  I'm not happy at all, but we'll keep playing with it.  I think the combination of axle risers and a longer Rpod means a bad fit for the Rdome.  I'd pass on the Rdome if I was doing it again.

podsible dream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podsible dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 6:00pm
To avoid that sloped down to the front look on the dome with risers on the pod, I made a pair of dome risers from 4x4 pieces.  I made them about 7.5 " long to match the actual size of two pieces of 4x4 sideby side. I splined them together with a length of 1x and lots of glue.  I drilled a 5/16 hole about 1" deep in the center to hold the pole end.  Then a separate 5/16" hole thru the block  off to one corner to provide a stake down point.
The 4x height is just about the height of the installed riser.  The sides don't cover as much ground as they do without the risers, so we use firewood pieces to hold them down.  The appearance is much much better, though.
We bit the bullet and put 2" wide self stick Velcro on the side of the pod, and sewed The loop part to the sides of the grey edging of the dome.  No more wind blowing through or cups popping off or snaps not working.  The Velcro goes from top to bottom with a short segment on the roof to hold it down. No rain leaks either.

Walt
Chris and Walt
'10 RP 171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Durango Crew 5.7l Hemi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic