r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Detachable Stabalizer Jacks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3rl3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Detachable Stabalizer Jacks
    Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 7:14pm
I LOVE the new scissor jacks on the 2012's. The only problem is that I have to back into my driveway at an angle so as to not scrap the jacks.  If they could mount to a studded post so that with a 1/2 rotation they could be taken off it would be great!!!

Dan

pmjensen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmjensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 1:29pm
Have you thought about putting risers on you Pod.  If you don't have them that would be 1 way to avoid scrapping.  Besides, it makes dumping your tanks easier.
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2011 Frontier SV
alli-gator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alli-gator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 3:09pm

I just put the axle risers on my pod last night. I agree the R pods sit a little low without them, and it was making me a bit nervous. I also just changed TVs and my new TV's receiver is about 3"higher than the old one, which was pitching the rear of the pod even more. Adding the extra axle height helped level the Pod without having to buy a new drop bar for my E2 hitch. Installing the risers wasn't difficult to do - you just need jack stands, a floor jack, and the proper sockets. It probably took me 45 minutes per side.

Bruce and Ramsey
2011 RPod 177 "Alli-Gator Pod"
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 4:32pm

I had axle risers put on my pod about a month after I bought it because it was scarping going in and out of driveways, and the risers do help for dumping your tanks as well, but your r-dome will be a little higher where it is connected to the pod and the skirt will be off the ground more; although this is not a real problem as far as I’m concerned.

My 2010 171 only came with only one stabilizer on the rear and two on the front so I put a jack on the rear where it was missing to help better stabilize my pod when camping.

Vallgrlx2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vallgrlx2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 10:34pm
Ugh, what is an axle riser?

2012 Toyota Highlander
2012 R177
2012 Toyota Highlander
2012 R177 RPod
Two Scotties

OurPod
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 12:30am
This is an axle riser, it raises your trailer by 3 3/4".

If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre
Vallgrlx2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vallgrlx2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 12:14am
Thanks for the helpful photo. Having the additional height does make sense!

2012 Toyota Highlander
2012 R177 RPod
Two Scotties
2012 Toyota Highlander
2012 R177 RPod
Two Scotties

OurPod
Panama Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panama Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 8:31pm
If you do not want to raise your trailer and center of gravity, you can also install trailer skid wheels on the back to stop the rear of the trailer from "digging in" or scraping the rear stabilizers.
IPodAlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 9:48pm
[QUOTE=Vallgrlx2]Ugh, what is an axle riser?

Thank you for asking that! :)  Though I knew what they did, I wondered what they were.  I'm wondering if most of you who are putting those on have higher profile vehicles?  I too drive a Highlander which sits lower than a truck or larger SUV.
2010 Rp 171
Towed with 2011 Ford Expedition
Co-pilots: Abby & Brownie
"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -- Anon
anchorout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anchorout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 1:17am
To answer the original question, many rv suppliers offer jack mounts that allow the scissor jacks to be easily removed when not needed.  Part one is screwed to the chassis and part two bolts to the jack.  The two slide together or slide apart as needed.
Retired: Been there. Done that. Can't remember. And loving every minute.

"TOAD ALONG"

177 pod   F150 v6 tow C-Dory 22 boat
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic