r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Miles per gallon towing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pawpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 3:56pm
We got 14+mpg on praire, about 12 in easy hills. Killer was on the mountains, 8mpg. We have a Montana sv6, and we pull in 3rd. Usually we go about 100 km per hour but depending on the terrain we do anywhere from 95 to 105. In the mountain we were down to 75 on one part.
Ready to pod around.
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 5:19pm
We JUST got back from a quick trip up to a park in Indiana, kind of windy, but averaged just under 13mpg. '04 Expedition 5.4 V-8. No bikes on the roof rack. I set the cruise at 60 or so, OD on, interstate or otherwise (unless of course the speed limit is lower..)
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 5:28pm
Rob - E-85 for towing is terrible! It is well worth using it though when you guys arrive and un-hitch. It's not bad for cruising around town. The cost to benefit ratio is definitely there when you're not towing and demanding from your vehicle.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
psaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by R&T's Pod R&T's Pod wrote:

Kenn,  While no E85 is available in our area, we will be travelling out to WA next summer to visit family.  I didn't have to use E85 on the last trip, but I was wondering if you notice "performance" decrease in addition to a gas mileage decrease?  Rob
A couple of months ago we tried a tank of E85, mostly because it was about 35 cents per gallon cheaper. I can't really say I could feel a performance difference, but pulling our 177, the mpg dropped from 12 to 8; really not what I was expecting. After doing some internet research, found articles like this.   http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/e85-vs-gasoline-comparison-test.html
2011 RP177 "Sponge Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
P2 Brake Controller
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 7:31pm

Should you use over-drive when towing? I had a mechanic tell me once that you should not use OD when towing; I’ve got to research this, and how does OD effect gas mileage? I guess cruise control might also effect gas mileage?

thrasharound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thrasharound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 8:04pm
I personally think cruise control uses more fuel because it can not look ahead to see an upcoming gradual incline so it just mashes the pedal to maintain a constant speed. Without it on you see the hill and just settle in for maybe a little slower climb.  I don't know if it is right or not but I tend to watch the rpm's, a lot of the time by dropping 2 miles an hour you can settle in to 2300 rpm vs 3000.  Just a thought.

Bob & Maureen
2006 Tundra

Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Larry Larry wrote:

Should you use over-drive when towing? I had a mechanic tell me once that you should not use OD when towing; I’ve got to research this, and how does OD effect gas mileage? I guess cruise control might also effect gas mileage?

Larry - When your transmission starts to "hunt" for gears, shifting in and out of OD, turn it off. That usually happens in hilly terrain. On the flats, I believe it's OK to leave OD on. That's what I used to do when we owned a big TT. The TV we use with the rpod has a transmission that doesn't shift gears so it's not an issue.

With cruise control, I think you will get better gas mileage with it off unless, again, you're on the flats where your TV isn't doing a bunch of speeding up and slowing down. We just leave ours on pretty much all of the time except in the mountains.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
podsible dream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podsible dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 8:58pm
We just got back from long weekend in Maine. 330 miles one way from central NJ, Hills, no mountains, lots of long gentle grades. Did 60-62 mph at 2500-2600 rpm with the OD off, got 10 mpg. If the OD was on, the slightest grade would slow us down and the transmission would down shift to keep the rpm's up. It would shift down to the next lower gear, but never dropped below third at 4000 rpm or 48 to 50 mph.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP 171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Durango Crew 5.7l Hemi
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 10:34pm
unlblkrubi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlblkrubi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 8:16am
9.5 to 14 MPG duing a 4500 mile trip out west and back. OD sucks in a Jeep JK.
2011 171
2005 Ford F250 Super Duty diesel
2005 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (trail rig)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic