r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Owners Registry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tacoma Owners Pulling an R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doggiepoddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 2:41pm
I don't know about the newer generation's suspension.  But knowing that our 182G has the heaviest tongue weight of any rpod, I'm gonna want to even out the entire setup, without the truck sagging like it does now.  I'm figuring the best way to do that without replacing the whole suspension is to add the pneumatic airbags on the rear axle... unless anyone has any other suggestions Smile

-Tyler
4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

-2011 182G
-1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 3:45pm
WDH!

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 10:59pm
Check how you pack things in the Pod and truck. A lot can be done with where you pack heavy things verses light to take some of the weight off the tongue.
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
Countrygent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Countrygent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 5:39pm
Hi -

So new I haven't even taken delivery yet.

To be safe got an equalizer hitch thrown in on our purchase of a 2012 177 Hood River ... can't wait to pull it behind my Taco.

2012 Hood River Edition 177
Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab 4x4 6cyl Manual
Little Bigpod
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 12:19am
Just make sure you get the right equal-izer hitch set. If you get it too big, it'll be too much.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
Hndyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hndyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 9:43pm
Just picked up my 177 HRE this weekend. I have an '04 Tacoma, v6 and have similar sag on my rear suspension. I'm getting about 2" of sag. From the posts it sounds like upgrading the suspension is an option, but has anyone looked into a helper leaf system like the one on etrailer.com? I was thinking, that combined with a friction bar might be a good option. Thoughts? I was cautioned by the dealer about using a wdh with the r-pods because they have so little tongue weight.

http://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Toyota/Tacoma/2004/SSA7.html?vehicleid=20041062983
Eric
2012 R-POD 177 HRE
2004 Toyota Tacoma,V6,4x4
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Hndyman Hndyman wrote:

Just picked up my 177 HRE this weekend. I have an '04 Tacoma, v6 and have similar sag on my rear suspension. I'm getting about 2" of sag. From the posts it sounds like upgrading the suspension is an option, but has anyone looked into a helper leaf system like the one on etrailer.com? I was thinking, that combined with a friction bar might be a good option. Thoughts? I was cautioned by the dealer about using a wdh with the r-pods because they have so little tongue weight.

http://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Toyota/Tacoma/2004/SSA7.html?vehicleid=20041062983

I've been RVing for over 20 years and I've never heard that. Did he elaborate about what kind of problem you might encounter if you used one? Perhaps what he meant was that he didn't think you needed one as opposed to cautioning you against using one?

I would venture a guess that at least 1/2 (maybe more) of the members of this forum use a wdh.

A combo wdh w/sway control easily solved our sag and sway problems.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Doggiepoddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doggiepoddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 9:41am
@Hndyman- Your sag issue sounds similar to what we have with an upgraded suspension. Since we don't have a wdh, I can't vouch for 'em, but from what I hear, they work. If you think your taco needs the rear suspension help apart from the towing (heavy loads often/feels unsafe under load) then by all means try the helpers. If all you're doing is towing the pod, then consider the wdh instead (seems like relatively similar cost).

FWIW, my taco really needed her springs replaced, and she is very strong now, but with our 182G (379 lbs dry hitch weight), she still drags her caboose a bit. I don't mind it, though, because, again, the taco feels solid (and safe) towing. BTW, I also upgraded the front coilovers, which helped overall stability a lot.

-Tyler
4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

-2011 182G
-1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5
Hndyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hndyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 11:21am
Thanks for the responses guys. I was surprised when they told me not to use wdh. I said cautioned, because the tech doing the walk through with me didn't recommend it, but couldn't provide a reasonable argument. I asked the service manager and he said they had tried installing them in the past and couldn't get them to adjust right. Something about there not being enough tongue weight. Perhaps that was more a function of the model r-pod and tow vehicle and less the wdh. My dry tongue weight is 250 and they installed two batteries and filled the tank. Without it loaded with gear I am probably sitting with more than 12% of the overall weight on the tongue. Being new to rv'ing and having not loaded it yet I was a little thrown by their comments. Sounds like it couldn't hurt to have the correctly sized wdh and maybe look at the suspension if that doesn't fix it. I don't typically overload the bed, but it usually still feels stable with a load in it. Thanks again!
Eric
2012 R-POD 177 HRE
2004 Toyota Tacoma,V6,4x4
Countrygent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Countrygent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 1:43pm
Dry camping question re: battery charging.  Using the TV to give a boost to dry camping battery life.

Does anybody know if the inverted 120v bed outlet in the newer Tacomas would be much use for powering the converter in the Pod - or would I be better off just doing the old booster cable trick hooked up straight between the batteries - the truck idling in both cases for an hour or so of course.  

Seems using the truck to invert to 120v to run power to the Pod's converter is a convoluted and inefficient way to apply some charge to the Pod's battery - but on the other hand it would be very convenient.  My rudimentary understanding of power is the 400w by 120v outlet is only delivering 3.3 amps, and maybe that won't be enough to drive the converter, and the boost to the battery idling for an hour most negligible?

At 400 watts I'm thinking the outlet on the Tacoma is more gimmicky than anything else - enough for some lights or a little stereo when tailgating.
2012 Hood River Edition 177
Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab 4x4 6cyl Manual
Little Bigpod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic