r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Owners Registry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tacoma Owners Pulling an R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doggiepoddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 3:54pm
Thanks for the welcome! Big smile

We'll be pulling the new pod with the standard hitch for the near future, no fancy stuff.  We'll see how the first 400 miles go when we pick it up in Phoenix this weekend.  This is a long week! 

-Tyler
4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

-2011 182G
-1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5
jeanelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 6:27pm
I am new to this forum. I apologize for not posting correctly. We are new owners of a 177, and are towing with a 2002 Tacoma. We live in the metro Denver area, so we are at altitude, which takes our power down by about 20%.
wondered how people like th new Tacoma as a tow vehicle?
Thanks for any input!
Jean &steve boch
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 1:32am
We have a '10 V6 and it seems to have no trouble at all where we are. Of course the milage drops about half. Every now and then my hubby comments that the tundra would have been nicer. Men and bigger trucks!LOL
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 9:12am
The problem with the Tacamo and any R-Pod is that you definately know you're pulling something and that it's back there.  The Tundra or F150 would serve much better in my opinion, but it is what it is.  I"m not trading in a paid-off Tacoma for something that I'd have payments on.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 9:18am
Originally posted by this_is_nascar this_is_nascar wrote:

I"m not trading in a paid-off Tacoma for something that I'd have payments on.
+1

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Footslogger03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Kenn Kenn wrote:

Originally posted by this_is_nascar this_is_nascar wrote:

I"m not trading in a paid-off Tacoma for something that I'd have payments on.

+1

==================

I'm in the same position. Not saying I wouldn't replace it if really necessary     ...but having a 2011 Tacoma and a 2012 R-Pod 177 is kinda nice.

MJ
jeanelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 9:53am
Thank you all for your input! We will find out soon enough. We are heading to San Diego next week,
Jeanelle
Doggiepoddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doggiepoddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 1:12pm
Hey, folks- the recent activity prompted me to come back here and give at least a little update on my Tacoma pulling experience.  We picked up the 182G with no serious issues, except for the poor little 4-cylinder engine chugging from Phoenix to Flagstaff at 35 mph.  We've decided on no long trips until we upgrade the truck (meaning payments... grrr).

But regarding the towing- my upgraded suspension has made the towing feel VERY solid.  No sway, no scary moments at all.  

Along those lines: knowing Toyota has had a reputation for questionable stock suspension, has anyone installed an air-bag system on the rear axle for stability?  It's something I may consider on my next truck.
-Tyler

-2011 182G
-1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Footslogger03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 1:18pm
Hmmm    ...didn't know about that reputation and so far hadn't planned on doing anything to beef it up. Is this something attributed to older Tacomas or current model years. We have a 2011 4dr Short Bed, 6 cyl - 6 spd manual trans.

Have about 15,000 miles on it so far and have never noticed any rear end/axle suspension issues.

Will be very interested innthe replies here.

MJ
Doggiepoddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doggiepoddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 2:19pm
1st generation Tacomas ('95-'04) were known to have fairly weak 3-leaf stock springs on the rear, especially for off-roading and heavy-ish loads.  I drove cross-country twice in my '99 with a lot of gear, and wore them out within 3-4 years.  I replaced them with custom 5-leaf springs from Alcan (Grand Junction, CO), and replaced the front coilovers with OME Springs, along with Bilstein shocks all around, and the truck is far stronger than it ever was without feeling like a tank on the road.  A lot of Taco drivers (from TTORA and the TacomaWorld forums) have had similar experiences, but most of them are more hard-core off-roaders than I.  I just wanted a "capable" truck, if you know what I mean. 

Here's a pic showing my setup- the rear of the truck sags a little, but like I said, feels solid on the road.

-2011 182G
-1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic