r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R-Pod construction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saxack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod construction
    Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 4:21pm
I was seriously considering purchasing a r-pod, & almost ordered one, until I went to a RV show this last weekend, & looked at several models. I was very surprised at the lack of pride in craftsmanship! It was non-existent! The brochure states that the walls & floor are "welded aluminum". They are actually plywood covered with a thin layer of fiberglass. The brochure also states that the cabinets fronts are solid wood, & assembled with screws. I only saw particle board, & staples! The drawer fronts may have been solid, but not the cab front panels. The only screws I saw were a couple that held the cabs to the floor. Otherwise hundreds of staples.  The "queen bed" was a flimsy mattress laying on a 1/4" sheet of luan plywood, supported by a stapled together 1&1/2" frame. This was the most flimsy construction I have ever seen in a trailer! It was obviously meant for one trip only! I asked the salesman about it, & his reply was, "You get used to carrying tools & glue to make frequent repairs"! Just what I want to do after driving hundreds of miles or so, & have to put the interior back together before being able to use it!! I think duct tape would be needed also! NOT BUYING IT!!!
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 4:37pm
Quality and pride in craftmanship could be improved throughout the RV industry. Good luck finding the quality you're looking for at a reasonable price.

There are probably a hundred or so happy Rpod owners here who feel, for the most part, we got good value for our money.

Take care,
Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
photog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by saxack saxack wrote:

I was seriously considering purchasing a r-pod, & almost ordered one, until I went to a RV show this last weekend, & looked at several models. I was very surprised at the lack of pride in craftsmanship! It was non-existent! The brochure states that the walls & floor are "welded aluminum". They are actually plywood covered with a thin layer of fiberglass. The brochure also states that the cabinets fronts are solid wood, & assembled with screws. I only saw particle board, & staples! The drawer fronts may have been solid, but not the cab front panels. The only screws I saw were a couple that held the cabs to the floor. Otherwise hundreds of staples.  The "queen bed" was a flimsy mattress laying on a 1/4" sheet of luan plywood, supported by a stapled together 1&1/2" frame. This was the most flimsy construction I have ever seen in a trailer! It was obviously meant for one trip only! I asked the salesman about it, & his reply was, "You get used to carrying tools & glue to make frequent repairs"! Just what I want to do after driving hundreds of miles or so, & have to put the interior back together before being able to use it!! I think duct tape would be needed also! NOT BUYING IT!!!

In April of 2010 we took delivery of a 2010 R-pod 171. The first thing we changed was the mattress, I agree it was not worth having. We made a lot of small mods to suit our style of camping but never run across anything that came apart.

In early Summer we towed that trailer up to the Yukon and back and later in the fall we went right across Canada to P.E.I. and back. Total distance towed was just over 20 000 km.

On neither of the two trips did I have to screw, glue or otherwise fix anything. Is the trailer perfect? No, far from it but neither was any other trailer that we ever had during the last 40 years.

We traded the 171 for a larger unit but that is another story all together.

So, unless the 2011 models are built different the dealer must have had an exceptional bad unit on the show and that does not speak well for the dealer.

If you like the R-Pod I would suggest that you look at another unit before giving up on it.

Take care,
Heinrich and Elly

2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
Prime Time Tracer 205 M
MissPolly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissPolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:07pm
Oh I am sorry to hear that you found the product to be insufficient. I too am in the market and am searching high and low for something that will be "just right" for me.

At the show did you have a chance to view a Flagstaff Micro Lite 18RK XLT or a Rockwood Mini Lite ETC 184. They have similar tow weights to the r pods, a unique body style and those models have a queen bed and sofa slide out similar to an RPod 175.

Those 2 companies are also Forest River companies, and a higher price point, but perhaps their quality would be more to your taste.

Goodluck,
IMO you did find something worth keeping from Rpod...this Forum and its members.
Polly 
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:30pm
@saxack
I am surprised that you are looking for such quality in the price range of the RPod.  We did not expect to see the quality you are describing.  After traveling almost 4000 miles in our 2010 last spring and summer, my biggest complaint was the mattresses in our bunk beds.  They were horrible and we replaced them with foam topped with memory foam.  I,also, found that I was constantly sweeping up sawdust.
We went to an RV show and found that the mattresses in a very expensive fifth wheel were no better than ours.  I could feel the springs in the mattress when I sat on it.
Knowing that my Pod is not made with the highest quality material, I take great care when opening drawers and doors. Wink
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 6:55pm
You usually get what you pay for and I for one think that I got a good deal.  No saw dust, nothing broken, and I haven't even changed out my mattress (yet).
Maybe there is something out there in the same size and price range that is better, haven't seen it myself.  Keep us posted if you find it.

2010 171
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

Tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 11:50pm
Why would somebody join an R-pod forum and blast the R-Pod when they don't have one? Each to their own opinion.

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
Hawkeyes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 6:45am
I try not to be a negative person, but why would anybody get on a website and blast a product that the entire website owns?  Was the purpose to all make us feel like fools?  I am assuming this guy either has an alternative product he wants people to buy or just wants to be hurtful.  Ridiculous!
Hawkpod
2013 Surveyor Sport 189
2010 Silverado
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 7:23am
Originally posted by saxack saxack wrote:

"You get used to carrying tools & glue to make frequent repairs"

I wonder how long this person will be an RV salesman.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 7:27am
I think the interior of the rPod could be better constructed too, but not for what you pay for it. It's adequate for the job it's expected to do.

Some of the mattresses are junk, also agreed. I replaced the ones in our 172 bunks almost immediately. But the last RV show I went to it seemed like all the manufacturers were using batting instead of foam in at least some of the beds. It looks to me like the beds that they expect the kiddies to use are batting, the adults beds are foam.

Hope you find what you're looking for.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic