r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Reviews and Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

family of 5?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aurtvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: family of 5?
    Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 8:44pm
We have recently been thinking about getting a trailer (initially a tent trailer but the R-pod caught my eye. We have a family of 5 (two adults, three children currently 8, 6, 5) plus Big Dog and Little Dog. Both the 172T and the 176T interest us and we aren't sure if it would be a good fit.

This would be our first trailer. We have done a bit of camping with our family and the idea of a trailer with much less set up appeals. I think that we'd probably do one longer trip each year (4 - 7 days) and then a few more weekend/extended weekends.  We have a Toyota Sienna 2007 so I think that we are able to tow 3500 lbs. I think both come under that. Is 1000 lbs a sufficient amount to cover bikes, equipment, etc? Am I overlooking anything  I need to calculate for weight?

For those who have these or maybe have a family of this size, do you think that we'd be a bit ambitious to fit everyone in? I think we'd definitely be interested in the add on screen room for a bit of extra space. I was really thinking that the trailer would be the place to sleep and a place to go if it rains. I imagine even doing most cooking at a campfire/campstove.

We have had a chance to see one of these (can't remember which one) but weren't looking too closely because we were thinking tent trailer at the time.

And we might also look further into the ProLite (Evasion 16, Fusion 19) if anyone can provide any thoughts or comments.

Thanks everyone!

aurtvr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aurtvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 9:16pm
Some more questions!

What is the approximate area of the screen room for the 172T or 176T?
Which appliances are able to run off propane?

Thanks so much!
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 11:01pm
I can't answer all your questions but I'll give a few a shot. 
The r-dome is the same no matter which model of r-pod you have and it is approximately 9'  X 12'.  The furnace, cook stove, hot water heater  and refrigerator work off propane.  
The hot water heater and fridge also work off of 110 V and the fridge works off 12 VDC also.  The fridge should only be run on 12VDC when you are on the move since it will run the battery down pretty quick if the battery isn't being charged. 
I can't help with the 172T or 176T because we have a 177.  Others have the T model and I'm sure they will give you their opinion.
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
aurtvr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aurtvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 2:58pm
Thanks for your reply!  the information you've given is helpful.

GaRedneck81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaRedneck81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 5:42pm
Your family would be a tight fit.
GaRedneck81
U.S.Navy-Retired
Heavy Chevy 5.7 liter
RP-172
Kennesaw, Ga.
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 8:09am
No way would I consider any of the R-PODS for your family.  You'll be cramp and misable.  If the weather is bad, you'll have even a worse time in my opinion.  You're better off looking at something 25' or more.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 10:59am
I think it would be doable but you would need to like each other. We did it in a small pop up for years. I would suggest the r dome and perhaps a little tent for the kids as they get older. Its nice to have a dry place to be but as mentioned there is not a lot of wiggle room. I would suggest taking the whole family to the dealer or a show and actually putting everyone in the camper for at least 10 min to see if you could survive. 
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 11:19am
I would think it is very possible. It is not like you are going to be staying in the camper 24/7. Just make sure you have a place for everybody to sleep comfortably. When I was a child we had a small trailer and loved it.
Go for itClap We tend to forget what camping is all about! 
Theresa's Seaside Cowgirl
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 11:39am
Originally posted by tdrace tdrace wrote:

I would think it is very possible. It is not like you are going to be staying in the camper 24/7. Just make sure you have a place for everybody to sleep comfortably. When I was a child we had a small trailer and loved it.
Go for itClap We tend to forget what camping is all about! 

With all due respect, it's quite possible that they'd have to stay in the campers for hours on end, with the animals.  Think about it.  Even a family that gets along would be hard pressed doing this.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 11:41am
To the OP, go to a RV Dealer local to you that has an R-POD.  Take the family and the animals with you.  Get everyone in the R-POD (including the animals), close the door and don't exit until 15-minutes have gone by.

Then, come back and let us know if you need anymore answers to your question.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic