r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

swivel mount for TV/DVD combo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skooterpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: swivel mount for TV/DVD combo
    Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 9:16pm
One reason we chose the 177 was to watch TV while lying in bed.  Then we discovered the screen only tilts front to back, not while turned sideways. Bummer. This meant we'd have to sit up to see the screen at a decent angle.  So I made a mount that allows rotating the entire unit so the screen can tilt toward our face while lying down.  Also makes the clock and controls easier to see.

Pretty simple deal. Loosen knob, rotate unit, tighten knob.  

Drilled straight up through the shelf.  Turns out it's hollow and doesn't provide alot of support for the weight of the unit through a single bolt. Therefore, added another brace across the top.  Allows tightening knob without over-stressing thin ply of the shelf.  Had to experiment with different wood thicknesses and carriage bolt length so the bolt wouldn't bottom out inside the knob.  Also wanted everything to clear the underside of cabinet when rotated. 

Carriage bolt is 5/16 x 3.  You can get a similar knob at most any Home Depot or Lowe's or elsewhere.   Co-ax cable supplied with the R-Pod was too short so I had to get one about a foot longer to allow rotating the unit.

Here's the pics:

2011 RP-177
2010 Honda Ridgeline RTL
Daystarsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daystarsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 11:52pm
Very cool mod!
ka9nyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ka9nyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 10:16am
Nicely done!
Dave & Rose
Chamberlain, SD
2010 R-177 "ECM-Pod"
'08 Dodge RAM quad cab 5.7L 4WD "Rhino (re: F-4 Phantom)"
Exelon Nuclear (Retired)
US Army Corps of Engineers (Current)
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 12:21pm
That is a great idea.  I may "borrow" it if you don't mind for our 175.  I never thought of actually turning the entire unit to make the tilt feature of the screen work better.  This would make the TV much easier to see in bed.  Rob
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

Skooterpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skooterpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 10:33pm
You betcha!  It's all about sharing ideas.  Could probably be adapted to under cabinet models as well as over the bed.
2011 RP-177
2010 Honda Ridgeline RTL
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 11:17pm

Makes the TV unit actually functionable !!!  Great Mod ......

takeabreath3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takeabreath3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 11:37am
that is one kewl mod!  thanks for sharing it!
peace and love, judy
Life isn't a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safe in a pretty well preserved body, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up totally worn out, loudly proclaiming WOW WHAT A RIDE
turncoat3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turncoat3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 6:28pm
Really great idea on the tv.  Thanks and will probably do it as well as I have done other ideas from the Pod Nation.
Ben & Lorrie
2010 RP177
YakDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 5:34am
Great mod. Now I need to do that for the kitchen at home. Ain't Leo loved the Pod tv, so we ordered one for the kitchen cabinet. I think it needs a bit more swivel to. Will also add a shelf for the cable box to give her some more counterspace.
YakDriver, Ain't Leo, Chaz and Lil Harry in grrr-Pod

2013 r-Pod 182G Hood River; 2013 Ford F150 STX

YakDriver's Blog
anchorout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anchorout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 10:16pm
I did the same thing in an earlier mod, but now that I see what "craftsmanship" can accomplish, my rather utilitarian mod will be upgraded to this level of excellence. BY the way, it is the most USED mod we have onboard.
Retired: Been there. Done that. Can't remember. And loving every minute.

"TOAD ALONG"

177 pod   F150 v6 tow C-Dory 22 boat
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic