r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Using CPAP in R-pod...?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weeble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using CPAP in R-pod...?
    Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 9:07am
This may seem like a weird question....but is anyone using a cpap machine in their r-pod at night?   I'm new at this and haven't exactly figured out how to set it up since the bed goes side-to-side and the machine needs to sit lower than the top of the mattress.
We have the 176 with the dining/sleeping area in the rear (bunks that we converted to storage in front)
Thanks in advance for your ideas/suggestions!
Weeble
"I just wanna live while I'm alive" - Bon Jovi
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 9:30am
My wife uses a CPAP. Check out this post I made a while back:

I don't know about keeping the machine below the level of the mattress. As you can see, we don't and she says it works fine. It's above the level of the mattress at home, too. Has been for years.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
rpoders2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoders2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Weeble Weeble wrote:

This may seem like a weird question....but is anyone using a cpap machine in their r-pod at night?   I'm new at this and haven't exactly figured out how to set it up since the bed goes side-to-side and the machine needs to sit lower than the top of the mattress.
We have the 176 with the dining/sleeping area in the rear (bunks that we converted to storage in front)
Thanks in advance for your ideas/suggestions!
Taller Half uses (or should use) his cpap in Podcaster 173.  He sleeps on the fold out sofa and puts it on the floor.
Ellen, Dick (2 legs)
Mo Chara (the camping cat) Dudley (the world's best camping dog)
RPod 173
'07 Honda Pilot
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cane2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 9:50am
Mine is a Bi-Pap it does not need to be lower than the bed.  We have a 177 like rdog has but my machine is larger than his so i set it on the counter. The newer c-pap run on 12 volt so you can wire it in to the converter. Mine is a older (5) years and it runs on 24 volt so ask your medical supply which you have 12 or 24 volt if it's 12 volt for about 15 dollars you can have interstate battery make you a cord for it that will plug into a cigarette lighter plug. You can run it for about 3 days on your battery. I cannot imagine trying to sleep with out my Pap as i was waking up 88 times a hour.
pmjensen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmjensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 10:24am
You should be fine if your plugged into shore power.  For dry camping, you might check online to see if the brand of CPAP might have a 12 volt adapter.  Mine does but it's a cigarette lighter plug in (No help). The other possible option would be a battery pack.(Expensive)
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2011 Frontier SV
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 1:22pm

You also have two open 12 volt spots on your converter box, (I ran wires under the floor to the kitchen area {for a 12 volt coffee pot) and (under the shower area to the bunks {for 12 volt fans).  So I can boondock, have fresh coffee and a fan on me while I'm sleeping.

There are serveral sets of instructions on 12volt (cigerette lighter) wiring and installation.

LeeClap

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
dragonfly's r-pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragonfly's r-pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 3:34pm
I have a CPAP and because of the humidifier it has to be lower than the bed.  I just put it on the floor and it works out fine.  If not lower the hose will create moisture and it will make a gurgling noise.

Weeble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weeble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 8:48pm
Thanks everyone for the tips for making cpap work in the r-pod!   And here I thought it was gonna be hard!   Sorta wish we had that entertainment shelf like ratdog has - looks like it was made for the cpap!
I'll have to check with the DME to find out about the voltage on this machine - I don't know much about it yet.....but I'm learning!!  :)     The DME is where I heard that the machine needed to be lower than the bed due to the humidifier - but I see some of you make it work just fine at various levels.    So I'll just experiment and see what happens!
Thanks again!
Weeble
"I just wanna live while I'm alive" - Bon Jovi
PackeR-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PackeR-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 9:48pm

I have a CPAP and it works fine for me in our rpod 177. We put it under the bed and with the power right there it works just fine.

Jerry
Cari, Jerry & Jerry
2011 r pod 177 (PackeR-Pod)
2010 Subaru Outback
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic