r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leveling?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2009 at 3:52pm
Here's the item # for the Bal leveler thru JCWhitney

ZX482088X
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 12:06am
The one problem with leveling the trailer is, in stock form, you are trying to level it and stabilize it using 3 points.  To do both correctly you need 4 points of adjustments.  One in each corner.  Using 4 jacks as mentioned would work perfectly.  You can get it level and it would be rock solid.Wink

Terry
PriceJC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PriceJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009 at 4:08pm
I recently upgraded to the r-pod (171) because my dog figured out how to get out of the pop-up - which defeated the whole purpose of having it.  I am a skydiver, and like to take my dog with me to the dropzone, but watned a cool place for her to stay while I am jumping (the dropzone is where most of my "camping" is done - although with my r-pod, I am thinking I need to hit the road for some real camping).

Anyway, I noticed your post that you had the BAL Light Trailer Tire Leveler.  I kept the one I used with my pop-up (the manufacturers model number is 28050), and was curious if it would work with the r-pod.  I am glad to see you use one and have had luck with it.

I also noticed you had additional stabilizer jacks added to the front.  I don't have these, and will consider getting them.  But was wondering if it was something I needed to do right away, or can I use my r-pod and feel comfortable with the stability without them for now.

Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!!
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009 at 6:48pm
Congratulations on your 171.  Dog's are no dummies.  Got me one too that figures things out.

YIKES!!!  Skydiving....you're brave or crazyLOL  I freak out in a glass elevator, can't imagine falling from the sky.

No you don't have to add them right away or at all.  The additional stabilizer jacks was a personal choice.  We just didn't like the wiggle we felt going in and out and walking around inside after our first maiden voyage.  Keep in mind when you get jacks, you need to use caution where and how you install them.  If you don't install them correctly, you could damage the under body or end up with a hole in the floor.  The dealer had to install a metal plate to the bottom to add the jacks.   We are not "handy" at things like that.  The cost was $140 to have them to do it.  It was worth it to us, it sits very solid, and the new jacks are so much nicer then the standard ones that come on the back.  There are jack stands that are more reasonable, little more work, but another option.  Just remember to be careful where you put them.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
Mary & Don View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary & Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2009 at 5:20am
Amazon.com also has this leveler for $54.97.
Terri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2009 at 1:40pm
Thanks so much for taking the time to dig up the JC Whitney part number for me!
Terri, Denver CO
Mustard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2009 at 5:42pm
Very low quality jack not intended to lift very much.  The jacks (Domar Ind) are rated for 700 Lbs lift and 1000 Lbs static.  I think they're over rated.  Mine bent without very much effort at all.  I replace mine with scissor jacks and moved the original jacks (after fixing one) to the front for maximum stabilization.  You can see pictures under "Maintenance Tips & Tricks" and the subtopic "Bend a jack yet?".
:-)
Mustard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic