r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2900+ miles and 19 days later

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2900+ miles and 19 days later
    Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 9:55am
I wish I kept notes so I could write a more comprehensive report. All I have are general observations. I'll post pictures later when I get the camera out of the truck. We traveled from Connecticut to the tip of Michigan's lower penninsula to visit my father. We took a side trip into the UP just for fun and then came home again.
  • Don't ever leave the bed unmade and stuff setting around! You will be giving tours. Sometimes several a day. I came out of a grocery store to find a car parked next to us, the dog alone in the truck and DH in the pod with a woman he just met. Hmmm...
  • People ask what "eco-constructed" means. I am honest and tell them that I have no idea. DH started telling people it means it was made without formeldahyde. That seems to make them happy. No one asked, but I'm curious what the "r" stands for. Retro?
  • Never having owned an RV before I was struck by the fact that wherever I am, I am home. I would wake up in the middle of the night trying to remember where we were and decided it didn't matter anyway.
  • On our first trip with the pod we averaged 10-11 mpg. This was with whatever oil the dealer had put in the truck. Before the next trip DH changed the oil using Mobil 1. Mileage went up to 12+. Before this trip he used Mobil 1 for trucks and SUV's. Our mileage averaged 13.5. Towards the end of the trip DH confessed that he had switched to the mid grade gas.
  • Tip: Don't ever travel with a beagle in any area populated with rabbits. He just about split our ear drums in parts of Pennsylvania.
  • We had some problems with the black water indicator showing full even when we had just dumped. We may have to invest in a wand.
  • Pod sightings: Six of them on two trucks headed east in Ohio, one on the lot in Gaylord, MI and one going the other way in the UP.

I know I'll think of more things when I get the pictures off the camera.

Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
Sistahs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistahs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 11:43am
Great post, PeggyL. Thanks for sharing. We look forward to pictures and more stories. 
2010 R-POD 171
2003 FORD F-150
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 11:49am
Peggy,

1. Don't ever leave the bed unmade and stuff setting around! You will be giving tours. Sometimes several a day. I came out of a grocery store to find a car parked next to us, the dog alone in the truck and DH in the pod with a woman he just met. Hmmm...

Don't worry. There's not enough room in a pod for anything interesting to happen.

2. People ask what "eco-constructed" means. I am honest and tell them that I have no idea. DH started telling people it means it was made without formeldahyde. That seems to make them happy. No one asked, but I'm curious what the "r" stands for. Retro?

The "R" in R-Pod stands for "Really small" (see previous item 1 above).

As far as gas mileage, our car is recommended to run on premium. However, the dealer says it's OK to run on regular because the car's computer will adjust to the appropriate settings. However, he said that performance and gas mileage is better with premium. We have found that the dealer is correct. We get about 2 MPG better gas mileage with premium. I don't know if that increase is enough to justify the extra cost of premium but a tank of gas lasts longer. We only have a 17 gallon tank.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 12:35pm
Thanks for the update on your adventures and glad you had a great timeTongue
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 1:15pm
Okay, as promised here are some pictures but first I have another word of advice: If you stop at a rest area and take out a gallon of water to pour some for the dog, don't leave the water jug setting on the counter.

This is Harrison Lake State Park in Ohio. It is the most "manicured" park we have come across on our travels. The grounds are like a golf course and the trees are beautifully spaced. We stayed here when we were heading to Michigan and again on our way home.

This was our site at Muskallonge Lake State Park on Michigan's upper peninsula. One section is wooded and has the sites nicely spaced. (Okay, I admit it. Boon has his own chair.)

While we were there we got talking to a family camped nearby. The girls collect Monarch butterfly caterpillars and keep them until they are butterflies and then release them. One of the girls was nice enough to come over to show us one of the butterflies they had raised.

Here is our site at Tahquamenom Falls State Park. (Yes that is the tiniest pop-up in the background. Small must be in these days.)

We didn't get pictures but one of the nicest places we stayed was in the Deleware Water Gap National Recreation Area campground. There's no electric but the sites are large and the campground has that wonderful smell of pine needles.

rpoders2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoders2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Peggy L. Peggy L. wrote:

• Tip: Don't ever travel with a beagle in any area populated with rabbits. He just about split our ear drums in parts of Pennsylvania.
Thanks for the pictures...we had Olivia Newton Beagle as our first "child" for over ten years and I can still hear her when she took off after her first rabbit in Northen Virginia!
Ellen, Dick (2 legs)
Mo Chara (the camping cat) Dudley (the world's best camping dog)
RPod 173
'07 Honda Pilot
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by rpoders2 rpoders2 wrote:

Thanks for the pictures...we had Olivia Newton Beagle as our first "child" for over ten years and I can still hear her when she took off after her first rabbit in Northen Virginia!
I should have added that we were in the truck and he saw the rabbits out the window. Ouch!

rlfoxworth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rlfoxworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 1:31pm
Thanks for posting.  Really nice pics.   Really nice looking and clean camp site too.  Looked very comfy. 

Richard, Angela & Justin (Two & a Half Pioneers)
Exploring with our "Pioneer-Pod"
R-Pod 175 - 2010 Toyota Tundra
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 3:40pm
Great Pictures..for anyone that is interested there is a Place in CA that you can order butterfly cocoons and then release them. 

A friend did that as part of a funeral ceremony.  You provide them with date, time and location and they mail the cocoons so that will hatch and be ready to fly at your event.  (it's, about 20 to 25 a butterfly)

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 4:29pm
Great Pics Peg .... Thanks for sharing them w/us. I luv your list ! There's something about a "Podder" list that really hits home w/us. I'm sure its that way w/all RVing.
Ive chatted and talked with alot of RVers, half of them full-timers, in the last year, and they "all" say how unreliable the tank monitors are. Its know as the "nature of the beast" !! Really !!!

Please write more when possible,,,,,,, your a hoot !!!

Glad your having fun .. !!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic