r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traveling with Table on R-Pod 171

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okiecamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 9:31am
yakdriver,

how is that dome working out?

is it easy to put up?

Phil
there are storms in life, the secret is to learn how to dance in the rain

2010 172
2006 chevy siverado 1500
YakDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 9:49am
Okie, I love the dome. With a little practice you can get your time down to 10 - 15 minutes. The key is to make sure that all of the mounting screws for the channel are screwed in tight and that there are no burrs on the screw heads. Then use a little wet/dry paper on the leading edges of the channel to get rid of the sharp lip where you feed the dome into the channel. After that, a little silicone spray in the channel and you can put it up without a ladder or step stool. I just feed the dome into the channel, push the male part into the channel while pulling the part that's already in there further down the line.

It's actually more trouble to write about it than to actually do it. The mounting of the dome to the trailer is what most people complain about, but with the few little steps I outlined - it won't be a problem for you.
YakDriver, Ain't Leo, Chaz and Lil Harry in grrr-Pod

2013 r-Pod 182G Hood River; 2013 Ford F150 STX

YakDriver's Blog
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 11:16am
Originally posted by YakDriver YakDriver wrote:

Okie, I love the dome. With a little practice you can get your time down to 10 - 15 minutes. The key is to make sure that all of the mounting screws for the channel are screwed in tight and that there are no burrs on the screw heads. Then use a little wet/dry paper on the leading edges of the channel to get rid of the sharp lip where you feed the dome into the channel. After that, a little silicone spray in the channel and you can put it up without a ladder or step stool. I just feed the dome into the channel, push the male part into the channel while pulling the part that's already in there further down the line.

It's actually more trouble to write about it than to actually do it. The mounting of the dome to the trailer is what most people complain about, but with the few little steps I outlined - it won't be a problem for you.

Unless 1/3 of the mounting screws are put in at an angle like they were on mine.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
YakDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 11:26am
Ratdog,  your installer must have had a major hangover when he put your channel on. I only had 3 that had to be tightened and 4 or 5 that I had to buzz the burrs off of. I hope your installation is going better now. I've gotta admit, I've been lucky. After hearing all the horror stories I was almost afraid to try to put mine up. But the good half prevailed. She wanted to sit in the shade.
YakDriver, Ain't Leo, Chaz and Lil Harry in grrr-Pod

2013 r-Pod 182G Hood River; 2013 Ford F150 STX

YakDriver's Blog
okiecamper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okiecamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 3:35pm
outbound,

great ides with the bunjee cords

gonna try it this week end in my 172

thanks

Phil
there are storms in life, the secret is to learn how to dance in the rain

2010 172
2006 chevy siverado 1500
turncoat3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turncoat3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 7:37pm
I thought the bungee cords were a great idea and I rigged my table with them.
I have traveled 500 miles with the bungee cords and the table up with NO problems.
I do the same and loosen the front ones to sit at the table.  Plus it gives more room to store
boxes and shoes when moving.
good luck
Ben & Lorrie
2010 RP177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic